Indoor event video shot with NX1 and its new DIS

Sekhar

Folks, I recently covered a local event in Los Angeles with my NX1. It was indoor and the fluorescent lighting didn't really help, but I did get the chance test out the new DIS to go around the room for covering the action. IMO the shots were steady enough to be usable in situations like this, and I'll be using it more in the future for sure. I didn't do much grading on this except for some level adjustments and color correction for skin (the footage seemed pretty fragile). Please let me know what you think of both the content and how I put it together (I also created the soft background music).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Feels like an excerpt from The Master.

That's funny...I didn't know about The Master, but after your comment checked it out.

Anyone wish to share opinions on the video? I'd really appreciate it. I know the audio is not great, but anything else? I was especially hoping to get input on how it's put together. Every so often I cover events like this, and I usually shoot only a small part of a day-long event and end up having to come up with something that the folks can use to promote their org. The problem is that it's a challenge to make the videos engaging, so I'm trying different techniques.

I think it looks good, but at times I wasn't sure what I was watching. What's the story behind this event? Also, cut away from the person who walks in front of your camera. But honestly the quality of video is excellent and I like your color balance. The DIS looks great!!!

Yeah, I had to cover this event without knowing what to focus on or what would be happening, so tried to make a story out of whatever I captured. The first two parts (award and brief intro) are easy, but the Playworks one I tried to make it a meaningful and coherent segment out of different pieces I had. Oh well, something to prepare for next time. Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Definitely get the groundwork shots to let your audience know what's happening and why. If they don't know what's going on, they might be intrigued, but they'll never be emotionally invested. Also, try and create more variety with your shots. Captured the last speaker from the waist-up? Get the next one as a head and shoulders shot. Got the last speaker from the left? Run over and cover the next one from the right. That variety, when edited together, will make the video more exciting, give it pacing, and create a sense that each shot is showing us something new (even if it's the same old crap). You might consider a livelier bit of background music, as well as a more definitive stopping point. 

And as someone else who's figuring out how to shoot corporate/wedding/commercial stuff...try not to use those chintzy transitions. They tend to read as cheap. Stick to straight cuts and dissolves as much as possible. That'll also help keep a consistent sense of pace. A dissolve moves you to the next shot delicately, the hard cut forces you there. Ebb and flow. Savvy?

Can I ask what picture profile settings you used in camera? And did you use a lens with IS? 

Definitely get the groundwork shots to let your audience know what's happening and why. If they don't know what's going on, they might be intrigued, but they'll never be emotionally invested. Also, try and create more variety with your shots. Captured the last speaker from the waist-up? Get the next one as a head and shoulders shot. Got the last speaker from the left? Run over and cover the next one from the right. That variety, when edited together, will make the video more exciting, give it pacing, and create a sense that each shot is showing us something new (even if it's the same old crap). You might consider a livelier bit of background music as well. 

Can I ask what picture profile settings you used in camera? And did you use a lens with IS? 

Thanks. One thing I did last time was interview a couple of folks to explain the event, and I ran most of the interview as voiceover as I showed shots of the event...that made things very clear. In this video, I'm actually pretty happy for coming up with a semblance of a story for the last (Playworks) part: it was quite chaotic, and I had to come up with creative ways to cut it together.

WRT settings, I used gamma DR with sharpness -10 and contrast -5. These settings have worked best for me in high contrast scenes (there were pretty strong highlights). For a couple of the shots that had low contrast scenes, I did try a higher contrast setting to minimize banding, but didn't quite like the result. The lens was Samsung 16-50 S.