Why does Nikon think this is acceptable video quality on a $6,000 flagship DSLR?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/nikon-d4-video-still.jpg[/img]

Nikon are taking pre-orders for the D4. But based on the sample videos so far, if you are interested in using one for video I’d hold off.

It puzzle me why Nikon would want to put out such poor quality files for prospective D4 owners.

I can’t imagine Nikon taking a bunch of  640×480 JPEGs and claiming these are representative of the amazing output of their new DSLR so why do it with video?

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/6961/why-does-nikon-think-this-is-acceptable-video-quality-on-a-6000-flagship-dslr/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
As a life-long Nikon user, I'm really glad I decided to go with a GH2 and Voightlander adapter.  I have not been impressed with the video quality of any of the Nikons so far.  I think it's a combination of arrogance and foot-dragging.

I think it is a mixture of patent agreement and Japanese protectionism. Downscaling is effectively crippling therefore the quality is going to be poor. Appears Nikon D4 was allowed clean HDMI because the video is going to be crippled or downscaled and will not compete against the true high end video cameras.

[quote author=tungah link=topic=218.msg1511#msg1511 date=1327539061]
You pre-ordered a $6000 DSLR primarily for video when there is the Sony FS100 for $4700 (B&H)? Why?
This is not a cynical question. I really wanna know.
[/quote]

He has got loads of dosh selling his ideas on how to use GH2. I probably do the same  :D
I would rather spend the money on the Canon Cinema dSLR comming out later this year.

• Administrators
[quote author=tungah link=topic=218.msg1511#msg1511 date=1327539061]
You pre-ordered a $6000 DSLR primarily for video when there is the Sony FS100 for $4700 (B&H)? Why?
This is not a cynical question. I really wanna know.
[/quote]

I prefer DSLRs because the form factor is smaller, better to handle than the FS100, less complicated, less intrusive for kind of shooting I do (especially, say, in a temple in Asia).

Also the D4 is full frame and will be extraordinary in low light. Also the FS100 doesn't do stills.

Alas it looks like it is not to be. Next great hope for 2012 is 1DX and 5D3.

• Administrators
[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=218.msg1515#msg1515 date=1327564292]
I think it is a mixture of patent agreement and Japanese protectionism. Downscaling is effectively crippling therefore the quality is going to be poor. Appears Nikon D4 was allowed clean HDMI because the video is going to be crippled or downscaled and will not compete against the true high end video cameras.
[/quote]

Why would Nikon cripple it? They don't HAVE any high end video cameras!!

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=218.msg1521#msg1521 date=1327591449]
[/quote]

[/quote]

What I've said. Combination of patent agreement and Japanese protectionism. Sort of like we help you make your sensor for your camera, doesnt have to be this camera but for that camera so long as you cripple the video on your flagship camera we don't mind you having clean HDMI out. Japanese don't like losing face and Canon is not about to either.

[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=218.msg1523#msg1523 date=1327592947]
[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=218.msg1521#msg1521 date=1327591449]
[/quote]

[/quote]

What I've said. Combination of patent agreement and Japanese protectionism. Sort of like we help you make your sensor for your camera, doesnt have to be this camera but for that camera so long as you cripple the video on your flagship camera we don't mind you having clean HDMI out. Japanese don't like losing face and Canon is not about to either.
[/quote]

what about the GH2 then?

[quote author=sandro link=topic=218.msg1524#msg1524 date=1327593511]
[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=218.msg1523#msg1523 date=1327592947]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

what about the GH2 then?
[/quote]

What about it?

• Administrators
[quote author=mozes link=topic=218.msg1525#msg1525 date=1327595827]
doesent looks so bad to me....
[url=http://youtu.be/ijXE32V8HEE]http://youtu.be/ijXE32V8HEE[/url]
[/quote]

Looks terrible. Aliasing all over the place. Soft detail. It is nowhere near the GH2 level, it looks like a full frame D7000. How sad.

• Administrators
[quote author=sandro link=topic=218.msg1528#msg1528 date=1327603066]
Why doesn't that apply to Panasonic?
[/quote]

Because they make their own sensors.

What is being implied is that Nikon need Sony to produce their CMOS sensors, and Sony won't allow them competitive video. Not a view I share, but cannot be discounted completely.

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=218.msg1530#msg1530 date=1327603243]
[quote author=sandro link=topic=218.msg1528#msg1528 date=1327603066]
Why doesn't that apply to Panasonic?
[/quote]

Because they make their own sensors.

What is being implied is that Nikon need Sony to produce their CMOS sensors, and Sony won't allow them competitive video. Not a view I share, but cannot be discounted completely.
[/quote]
Just one of many reasons. The other is Nikon don't do professional video cameras and to do so they need to have a historical heritage to be accepted by the Japanese business community ran by traditionalists that honours a system of heirarchy. It took even giants like Sony hard earned effort to be accepted into the SLR manufacturer community only after collaborating with Leica and more so recently the purchase of Konica Minolta because without these heritage companies under their wings/ownership they don't merit as a professional still camera company and would take many more years to enter the market albeit very slowly.