The Shiga Scope Anamorphic x1.5

brucker

cheers Rudolf, it was a very lucky find. i've only been hunting for these locally for a couple of months, but so far this is the only one i've seen. but yes, it is incredibly easy to use and so nice and compact that on my nikon v1 i have an anamorphic HD system that i can carry anywhere and everywhere, and i do. 

i did see a price list from back in the day that seems to suggest that it was sold cheap enough that there must be a good few more kicking around in japan, but i could be mistaken, i know very little about these things.

i've heard from tony wilson that yashicascope's can be nice if maintained properly, but like yourself was never convinced to pick one up,... if one pop's up cheap enough i probably will though, lens hoarder that i am  :D

there are other smaller anamorphics that are quite interesting and that are all in the x1.5 - x1.25 range but they're all for 8mm cameras, which isnt a problem for my little nikon v1, but might be for larger sensor cameras,... youd be stuck with having to use 85mm and greater lenses to avoid vignetting,...

but if you're cool with that there are baby kowa-8's i started a thread on that, but i've since traded it.

i also have the elmoscope 16, not the big kowa looking one but an older, smaller one which i think is a x2, and i just got in an izukar-scope which is a x1.5

i think i'll pop out and test both of those today so i can start threads on them.

but yes i am so taken with my shigascope that i'll probably be putting those two up for sale in the new marketplace forum soonish.

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

quick update, cos i been having a ball :D

picked up a gh2,...

picked up a contax zeiss Distagon T* 35mm f2.8

and made these stills:

8467066061_e256cc9907_c.jpg

8467065643_1586032b36_c.jpg

8460681635_b76e3f0558_c.jpg

the shigascope vignettes on a 35mm+gh2 but is fine on the 50mm f1.4,.. nothing post worthy on the 50mm yet.

i've found that it is possible to get a sharp image at 1.4 with the zeiss,... which is not good for my wallet  :angry:

but i've also found that at 1.4, the little gap between the clamp and the lens,... light comes through that giving me a double image sometimes,.... so have to figure out a way to seal that space up.

at 2.8 its gone completely.

contax zeiss CY very very affordable compared to newer zeisses, but are razor sharp without being too sterile, so seriously, look into them before their prices get stupid high. 

this lens is looking lovely.  i'd be interested to see some tests to see the light loss from this lens.  ie, set the aperture on the 50mm planar to f5.6, then f4, f2.8, f2, etc  and see if the anamorphot allows the planar to make use of its full speed. On another 8mm anamorphot it seems any bigger aperture than f4 and there is no extra light due to the small size of the elements meaning actual light getting to the taking lens is limited to f4.

• 1 month later...

http://youtu.be/nenH4wFkTL0

this is my entry for a competition at a local tv channel. the shigascope with a takumar taking lens on a Nikon V1. 

my first complete bit of video since i started playing with video in september.

and i came in second  :D ! so it's now being aired once a week for the next year. ( i would have rathered the cash value as a prize but oh well)

a friend told me about the competition 2 weeks before the deadline, a bunch of us got together and shot it in an afternoon,... cut together without knowing what i was doing,.. still dont really know  :P

for those that dont speak japanese,... the competition is called Furusato which roughly translates to hometown and is intended for locals to promote their hometown. 

since i'm not originally from here i decided to make it about the foreigners/non-locals who have chosen to make this city their home.

it got projected in a movie theatre for the awards ceremony,...

the brilliant thing is that everyone else shot regular aspect ratio stuff,... so their videos occupied the middle area of the screen,... 

when mine came on,... it was like 'boom!' filing the screen, lighting up the room,.. was so cool. 

actually no thats not the brilliant thing,.. the brilliant thing is that people thought i shot this on a massive camera. i bet they think i was being a dick and lieing to them when i said it was a nikon v1 :P

that is all for now  :)

@rich101

from shooting more with the shigascope and the 50mm zeiss planar,...

from f16, opening the iris, the exposure increases as you'd expect all the way to f2.8.

from f2.8 to f2 the increase is smaller ie not as much as you'd expect from going from 2.8 to 2. and from 2 onwards there's no change,... so f2 and f1.4 look the same.

plus the tiny rear end means that at f2 and larger the double image starts coming in from the sides making it unusable anyway, unless you're shooting one bright thing ins a dark setting and it is dead center in your screen.

when mine came on,... it was like 'boom!' filing the screen, lighting up the room,.. was so cool. 

actually no thats not the brilliant thing,.. the brilliant thing is that people thought i shot this on a massive camera. i bet they think i was being a dick and lieing to them when i said it was a nikon v1 :P

Genius! hahaha! :D

Congratulations, man!

...snip... this is my entry for a competition at a local tv channel. the shigascope with a takumar taking lens on a Nikon V1. 

Nicely done and congrats!

When cutting between a few of the shots where the 'talent' were positioned in front of the same background there was a visible 'jolt' (background shift); this may have been intentional; however, if you were to place a marker (usually a cross of tape) to indicate where you want the talent to stand, such 'jolts' could be avoided. The use of this technique is also applicable when dealing with moving subjects and predetermined focus pull.

@septemberdawn cheers for the tip!

yeah, not intentional, and i was purely focused on getting them in focus so i had tape marking where they shouldnt cross, but hadnt thought of the jolts from side to side,... their heights didnt help either,.. five foot five to well over six foot,... i should have just turned the camera 45 degrees and would have had another landmark shot and the jolt wouldnt have been a problem.

its these little things isnt.

thanks for watching and taking the time to comment, it is much appreciated  :)