GH3 on hands for around an hour what do you want to know?

KarimNassar

Hi I have access to a gh3 in a showroom with very little people. It's a preproduction model with .5 firmware. I brought my hacked gh2 to compare. But I am bit limited because it is a public demo can't take it ou of here but I am allowed to record to my sd card. What do you want me to check out?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Ok so the I.dynamic mode only automatically corrects contrast and exposure but does not boost dynamic range. There is an I.Resolution mode which "records pictures with more defined outlines and sense of clarity" wonder if that is an intra camera sharpness boost will try if I can.

Best shoot high contrast images to check the allegedly better DR and banding. Once with and once without iD and iR. iR responsible for more moire? As recently someone pointed out, iDynamic with the GH2 causes noisy shadows. True. You are much more experienced, at least talented, than I am. You will know what to do.

Could you try this (and maybe note everything with a pen and paper):

1. Shoot in the various Modes of the GH3.
2. Shoot the videos at 5, 0 and -5.
3. Wear a Checked Pattern Shirt (preferably which exhibits moire patterns on cameras), and let someone run the video over your shirt, left to right.
4. Try and shoot a comparison with a Panny Lens (preferably a 12-35, if its there, and a 14-140), and a Non-Panny lens (maybe a Voigtlander).
5. For indoors use a fast lens, and keep the ISO low.
6. Carry a shade card, to check the comparison in colours on various modes, as well as the colour difference between the GH2 and the GH3.
7. Shoot in the 50p/ 60p mode, and compare the same, with the 720p on the Gh2.

Let us know.

Ok so that was frustrating.
It was a public presentation with poor lighting conditions in a store.
I was not a press member or anything and sadly people started to show up.

Here is what I did:
Custom picture profile with everything set to minus 5 except for color which I left at zero because I wanted to see color rendition.
QuickTime 24p all I 72mb
ISO 200
shutterspeed 50
voigtlander lens 25mm

I photographed the important parts of the user guide in case anyone was interested.

Even though it was a very frustrating setup and time constraint I got the most important thing to me : a comparison with my hacked gh2.

I will share the results with you tomorrow

[quote name='sanveer' timestamp='1351187463' post='20308']
Wow. Eagerly look forward to the results. Also, try and colour correct and grade both the (hacked) gh2 as well as the gh3 video. btw, Which hack have you installed?
[/quote]

thanks mate but sadly it could have been so much better.
I am disapointed like anyone else at the gh3 testers so far wich haven't released proper test footage but with the short time and setup I got I could have not done more. So many things I could have shot :-(

But at least we got a couple comparison shots with the gh2 and that is something.

I will grade for sure see how the footage holds up.

The hack is flowmotion v2.02