Need a wider lens...

craigbuckley

So I bought the 20mm pancake and the canon fd 50mm to go along with my gh2. Both are pretty good, but I feel like the shots are stil not wide enough, can anyone suggest a wider lens for the gh2 ( I have adapter for FD), that won't be crazy in price.

Also, is there another lens I should be going with to accompany the 20mm and the 50mm, other lens that I should be acquiring?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I dont have the kit lens, i just got the 20mm pancake with the gh2 body. Would it be stupid to have the 20mm and the 14mm pancake?

And I think I would go maybe for a little higher quality than the 14mm panny, just based on my research with its bad low light. Any other suggestions? HOw do the 14mm panny and the Rokinon 14mm compare? THe panny is 300 dollars cheaper on ebay, and has f.2.5 compared to the rokinon f.2.8..

Thanks again.

[quote name='craigbuckley' timestamp='1349542791' post='19444']
I dont have the kit lens, i just got the 20mm pancake with the gh2 body. Would it be stupid to have the 20mm and the 14mm pancake?

And I think I would go maybe for a little higher quality than the 14mm panny, just based on my research with its bad low light. Any other suggestions? HOw do the 14mm panny and the Rokinon 14mm compare? THe panny is 300 dollars cheaper on ebay, and has f.2.5 compared to the rokinon f.2.8..

Thanks again.
[/quote]

If you already have the 20mm f1.7, get a fast 50mm Nikon or Canon (from ebay), with an adaptor. It will be cheap and the optics are quite good.

I have the Oly 12. As with all system lenses, it is clean and sharp, but has no cinematic magic. I bought it for steadicam shots, because the AF is quite good. Before I had the Oly 9-18, same thing, but way too slow. The 12 mm turned out to be a good compromise, but I am determined to buy the SLR magic additionally. There are other options of course, but adapted Canon lenses (for example) are often quite big and heavy, I prefer MFT for the wider angles.

Search both lenses on vimeo, like "Panasonic 14mm gh2" and "Rokinon 14mm gh2" (you can replace rokinon with samyang, if you don't find any matches). Look at the images and decide which one of the two you like best.
With the panny being faster, the Rokinon has an aperture ring (even clickless with the cine version), which could be an advantage over the panny with video. The rokinon is larger and you have to buy another adapter for it, Nikon or EF to m43. The rokinon also has no filter ring, only a mattebox will be an option for using filters.

My two cents; If you're looking for a cinematic like image, go for the rokinon or the SLR magic.
If you just want a cheap fast wideangle prime, buy the Panasonic.