Iscorama and Zeiss + Achromat

richg101

I decided to join the exclusive club.. Club Iscorama.

So far all I can say is the price is well worth it. I have decided to hire it out to local film makers to offset the cost a little. And share my luck in finding one.

I am literally blown away by the enjoyability of using the lens. The Achromat +0.4 I recently re acquired is a definite must have for close ups. but overall, the lens is so sharp - even at wide apertures. the lack of breathing during rack focus is superb.

https://vimeo.com/49687242

forgive the rather boring clip. and the regular misfocus. occasionally i get it right and at these points it is very sharp. you can watch full 1080p via full screen. I think from now on this will remain a tripod only lens. movement doesnt seem to work well IMO. its killing the cinematic look a little.

shot on the cine housed nex5n, zeiss planar, portrait profile, -2-2-3, 50p, conformed to 25p

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I'm just trying to get together a good enough crew to shoot my first well scripted short drama. it will be anamorphic:) to be honest I may not even be anywhere near the camera. Trying to find a source for PL adaptors so we can use the iscorama and rollei zeiss lenses on a sony f3. no luck as yet. can only find m42 adaptors

you got lucky with the iscorama the last 3 i got where all spares or repair quality.
anyone that says the isco optic in good condition is overpriced should wait for the slr magic and see if it gets anywher near iscorama.
just for focus ease alone it is a gem.
it really is beyond lomo in resolution terms,not the look but resolving power.
i believe to get better you have to spend over 20 thousand dollars.

cheers tony. I spent a lot less than they seem to go for on ebay. a little lens separation, but nothing affecting image. I found a company who will repair to back to new condition (element reglue) for £170 but its not at that stage yet. I'll send it off when I have recovered from the financial damage the Isco did to me:) The company also offer lens coating removal for £40 per lens surface:)

Congratulations! I really now how you feel as I am also some lucky dog: I bought a new '68 Iscorama with Exakta taking lens...
a couple of months ago. And I also love it. I never had this before with any other anamorphic.
The picture quality is so nice and sharp. It flares so warm, subtle and beautiful.
I also love the opportunity to go wide open (at least 2.8 is pretty sharp I think).
For me the Iscorama has (sorry!) sexappeal. It looks also very good when mounted: no clamps needed, no DIY filter-solutions...
It offers also the opportunity to create another sort of cinematic look. I think for a lot of people "cinematic look" means something
like vintage and degraded picture quality. Therefore a lot of grain, scratches, misfire (everything magic bullet offers...) is added.
But for me cinematic means also the feel and the atmosphere. Especially the atmosphere and therefore - for example the sound
and the soundtrack, the cameramovement and the light. It is not only about lenses.
So I think it doesn't make sense to discuss if this or that anamorphic is more cinematic. Just imagine the weatherforecast filmed
with Lomo - still not cinematic...

I just bought a 72mm Canon +2 achromat for closer close-ups. Lets see how this looks. I also have the +0,5 Tokina but maybe the 0,4 Achromat
would be an investment - not sure about that and I don't know where to buy (maybe Redstan?)

Unfortunately I am a little bit too scared to take it with me... I am so anxious the shiny new Isco could fell down.
Therefore I use the also extremely lovely "Baby-Hypergonar" very often.

BTW: Thank you for your short clip and good luck for your future project!

Made some tests with mine - maybe I can upload them tomorrow on vimeo.

PS I would also be grateful for any lense-tips

PPS I am selling a Panasonic LA7200 on ebay - if anybody is interested?

I went out and got a bit more footage with the iscorama today. this time nautical themed.

https://vimeo.com/50175295

even got some moire on the bag strap on one of the shots. not got sharp enough footage to present moire from a one focus ring anamorphic setup before.

I'll be shooting the first proper short with this in the coming weeks. I think i finally have a scope setup that can be relied on

[quote name='QuickHitRecord' timestamp='1348717804' post='19096']
Looks good. The changing leaves add a nice splash of color. This is a very sharp lens. And you wrote the music too?!
[/quote]

Hey man.

Yep it was a rescore I wrote a few years back for Danny Boyles Sunshine. Not that it needed a rescore.

here is another bit of footage - this time shot wide open at f1.8 with controlled lighting via my prototpye led array running off battery for over 2hrs.

https://vimeo.com/50363360

even wide open this beast stays sharp when you want it to!