-
Posts
4,323 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Articles
Everything posted by MrSMW
-
I'm guessing it's a combo of size + lack of hype. Plus a little of 'maybe the price was a bit too high in the first place?' I'd have one for sure. If only I had slightly different needs... And that is probably the 4th element. Same as stuff like the Sigma FP, it's a little too quirky and doesn't quite fit into the low-end pro market for wedding vid hacks like me, but also isn't something the bigger boys can work with, so these things find homes with the slightly left-field enthusiasts. I've tried the 'wilfully different' approach many times over the last couple of decades and have come to the conclusion that whilst it might be fun, it's also frustrating and frustrating in business costs time and money. So whilst I refuse to conform 100%, I have to lean evermore into the 'sensible corner' š
-
Is it even available to them? (Leica & Lumix) Does that even exist? But it is much smaller and I think that is the main appeal? Always have been and always will be š Well maybe 'idiot' is too strong and I can see the appeal of say an X100VI over an OG GFX100 as in one has a fixed lens and can just about be squeezed into a pocket and the other you'd have to have pockets like Matt Granger to even attempt that feat. But if comparing outright imaging capability, it's a no-brainer isn't it. But apples and pears. The rule applies though that generally you can get MUCH better value on a used product and have to pay a premium for the so called latest and greatest.
-
Exactly and whilst Leica have stuck their brand on LUMIX cameras before (point & shoots mainly), I can't see any scenario where Leica would allow LUMIX to rebrand one of their own bodies such as the SL3.
-
Do you mean a potential S1HII vs a S5II or SL3-S vs SL2-S? Both are pretty niche aren't they as in 'we' may love the S1H but in terms of global sales next to the likes of the equivalent Sony & Canon options, it's not exactly been a massive seller. Leica is just niche full stop and that is part of their thing, ie, being small (as a company), desirable and expensive whereas LUMIX can't play in that arena. Same as Hassie. They can both play that heritage card even if one of them is owned by DJI. Leica could get away with simply having the SL3 body and the tilt screen over the old SL2 body in order to create an SL3-S. If LUMIX were simply to stick the internals of the S5II in the S1H body, they would be slaughtered. Personally I think that would be a great camera and I'd have one over the S5II but the Armchair YouTube Authorities would destroy it. Other than a handful of LUMIX diehards. Any S1H mk II HAS to be more. What the 'more' is, is the big question...
-
Leica will not announce a single thing relating to Lumix on any SL3s launch. Not even a sliver of a sausage. They may make these cryptic LS3 announcements from time to time (not had one for a while I think?) but product or roadmap info? Ha, absolutely no chance! Possibly a missed opportunity, each (not) leveraging each other for marketing purposes but otherwise all members of the L Mount Alliance are independent of each other and seem determined to remain that way.
-
My money would be on the SL3 body with a 24mp sensor. Leica would be mad to use the S5II body as itās not in the same league build-wise. They might have got away with it on some rebadged Sigma lenses but with the body, canāt see it.
-
I preferred the body/build of the S1H over my S5II. Easily. All an S2H would need to be for me is FF 6k 60p version of the S5II internals and itās a done deal for me. If it wasnāt for the less than stellar AF, Iād still have my S1H. Decent, but not Sony level stickiness, ie, could be better.
-
Well with zero anything officially from Panasonic, there's only going to be the usual rumour mills spouting the same old stuff. Either it will have this year or not. My opinion based on nothing more than pure speculation is I think it's more likely than not they will pop out at least one successor in the S1 line. Whether that will be an S2, S2R or S2H, the most likely I would think is the S2R because of the existence of the Leica SL3. Least likely IMO, an S2. No idea really, just speculating but probably about as valid as if I'd made a 10 minute YouTube video on the same subject... LUMIX has until the end of March to have it in existence and for sale otherwise won't be happening for me.
-
Well if comparing the S1R to the SL2, the SL2 had the arguably slightly better build by all accounts, (not that the S1R was shabby by any means), plus the badge and a nicer looking body, but otherwise, pretty much the same thing. Just half the price. And with a multi-angle rear screen vs the flat back of the camera which for my work is terrible. I can't see any future S2R simply being a rebadged SL3 though, but I would be pretty stoked if it was as I'd love an SL3 other than on price. It's probably the perfect camera for my needs as in: Want, but can't afford a Hassie X2D, never mind the cost of the system with lenses. Like the idea of a Fuji X100 but don't care for the lenses. Like my A7RV and the lenses, but would rather have all 3 of my cameras within the same system for cross compatibility and my video needs are served with 2 LUMIX cameras and various lenses...so an S2R makes a whole load of sense to me!
-
Itās a hypothetical(fictitious neighbourhood. I actually live at the end of a country lane with 2 other small cottages and no Porsches to be seen! š
-
Iāve never really compared what I earn with anyone else or anything I do with what anyone else does, or charges for. In fact I donāt really know. Or care. I donāt mean to sound in any way flippant or pretentious, but I genuinely have little to no idea what anyone else is doing in my industry or who my ācompetitorsā are, but simply/instead ask am I hitting my own set numbers? If soā¦and I have more or less for 25 years now, then that is where my interest and time spent on that ends. If I broke it down, pro rata, per hour, Iād probably be on an āabove averageā rate, but then factor in everything else from number of hours worked per annum to full-time employment perks and benefits, then pretty sure I would be ābelow averageā. Itās all relative and yet irrelevant if the overall big picture of life vs income etc works for each of us as individuals. My neighbour have a Porsche parked on his drive, a 5 bed mansion and earn 250k a yearā¦but he also works 80 hours a week and has no life other than working relentlessly to support that lifestyle. If thatās his choice, fair enough, but would not be and isnāt my choice!
-
Same here except we moved from a 4/5 bed farmhouse with a couple of acres, to a 2 bed cottage, because although I could live in a converted garden shed (or RV), MrsSMW would be less keen! Then we swapped the caravan/travel trailer for the motorhome/RV. The only thing that stops us using the RV more is 2 biggish dogs and a cat, but I canāt downsize those. Our car is also 15 years old this year. it does all we need, itās quick, comfortable, capacious and relatively economical and has never stranded us and being 4WD on all season tires, got us to a few places in snow when with a normal car youād be stuck. Such as a few weeks back when we arrived back from Paris on the train to the tiny village station 12 miles from our house and at least 8 inches of uncleared snow on the roads. Without 4WD and the all season tires, weād have been f*cked! Otherwise oops, we have veered off topic slightly š But back on topicā¦sort ofā¦we choose to live how we do, which is not exactly as minimalist freaks in a cave, but have a balance of not having status: home, car, clothes, stuff etc partly because my chosen career doesnāt allow for it anyway, but mostly because we are not interested in it in the first place. I often get pissed off with parts of my job and then I remind myself I have no mortgage, no rent, no borrowing of any kind, everything is bought and paid for, low living costs, no early morning commutes, no arse of a boss to have to put up with 5 days a week etc⦠Folks have been complaining that the sky is falling in since forever and in some sectors, it is, because stuff evolves and itās usually about being ahead of the curve to avoid the worst of it, if not all of it.
-
Real world no-brainer for my needs: FP/L vs S5II? Duh! Would I rather have the FP/L sensor? Of course, but not at the expense/compromise of āeverything elseā. There still isnāt any āperfectā option IMO, just where/what your compromises are.
-
Ditto. If anything, it has more appeal than ever, especially to the younger generations. I live the āTiny Homeā ethos but canāt quite subscribe to the āI live in my carā brigade because yup, perhaps you do, and maybe itās your āhomeā, but letās not pretend itās your real choice! If I was single, Iād live in my motorhome/RV full-time, zero question. I live/work out of it 3 months a year out of 6, Apr-Sep, ie, 50% of the time as it is. Typically 3 nights per week on site wherever I am working in a corner of the carpark and then 4 nights either in free aires (official overnight van parking areas in France) or cheap camping grounds in order to fill/empty my tanks and use their electric etc. Itās my transport, office and tiny home on wheels with near zero set up ie, full-time bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and living/office space. Less ātrailer parksā in Europe or the UK though and very much looked down upon unless itās one of the more upmarket over 55 oneās where prices tend to start at 250kĀ£GB. I would have zero issue living in one unless it had a bad rep. I just might not tell so many people because the old and in some cases, rightful prejudices are exist. Over-priced city centre apartment or semi-rural trailer park? I know which Iād choose!
-
I considered it and am still considering it, or rather a pair of them, but for stills only as in 1x A7RV with zoom vs 2x A7CR with primes... Based on my preferences and use case, the A7RV smashes (better ergos, EVF, LCD, card slots) the A7CR except in one single regard and that is that the A7CR has the pano crops in camera that it's slightly bigger bro does not have and probably because Sony are notoriously terrible with firmware, will never have. The Q is, can I compromise in various other areas to have that in camera crop option... When it comes to the FP/L and that CDNG option, would my clients care or even notice? Nope, but I would and that is my consideration. Plus/but, at what point do I need to say, "STOP! Enough is enough, - use what you have and stop tinkering!" Goes back to making custom crop mode stick on screen protector for A7RV...
-
So my question is, having an A7RV, how close can that camera get to the FP-L other than not having CDNG, because it kicks itās arse everywhere else except perhaps modularity, design and possibly build? I am not that techy but to me it always seems the most ācinematicā capable cameras are the least useable for my use case. And itās usually just by a whisker. Or in the FP-Lās case, by a few whiskers. Which is a shame as I love the idea of the FP-L but every time I have considered it, I came back to the same conclusion and that is the compromises are too many. Unless I kept it on a monopod full-time and the AF is good enough to track a subjectā¦?? Or could I get around the latter by simply mounting a DJI OSMO Pocket 3 on top of one for those latter occasions⦠Thinkingā¦
-
And that is about the sum of it⦠A. How many competitors for your specific services are there? + B. How good/unique are you within your marketplace? = Being employed or not. Actually there is a C. which is how good are your business and marketing skills as they are as, if not more important?
-
So it might not be āsexyā but the average salary for a train driver in the UK is approx double my salary. And you get paid to go on strike whenever you feel like in order to petition for even more pay. Yup, that is the world we live in. Itās mostly been that way actually as in one where very few creatives actually make any real money and the financial benefit is usually in favour of having more regular employment.
-
-
Which is pretty much why I shoot log with a burned in LUT. Usually needs a slight tweak but generally nothing major if I got the WB more or less in the ballpark.
-
Reality for me...and I guess many folks is yes, FP-L trumps it for outright image quality, but S9 beats it pretty much everywhere else from having IBIS plus tilt screen, battery life and a few other areas. But then for me, S5II beats S9 everywhere except some features specific to S9 that may come in firmware. Conclusion = LUMIX is for me, still the mainstream hybrid brand for pure video needs and has the least number of compromises over everyone else. What is their compromise? Outright image quality possibly...but actually, struggling really to find one... Another conclusion and that is LUMIX should work more closely with Sigma to create the ultimate real world hybrid!
-
That is what has always put me off, the lack of anything much; small, fast with OIS with AFā¦
