Jump to content

mercer

Members
  • Posts

    7,904
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mercer

  1. Does it say if it will only accept videos recorded through the app... forgive me but I haven’t read the article... busy few days... will the IGTV app be integrated with the regular IG app or is it it’s own thing? I think that’s too generalized of a theory... it seems there is content for everybody with whatever interests they might have, just like YT. I love IG and have learned a bunch about photography and filmmaking from perusing and commenting on photos, screengrabs and videos... but I ONLY follow photographers, filmmakers actors and actresses. With that being said, how many people on eoshd are also on IG and how do you use the platform... personal, professional, both?
  2. The IG app only works vertically, so that may be the reasoning... but I believe you can still have a landscape video on there, you just won’t be able to turn your phone to watch the video full screen in landscape.
  3. Look up Christian Mate Grabe on YT... he used the a6500 with the Sigma 30mm 1.4 for a while... I think he shot mostly 1080p with it as well. His stuff is gorgeous.
  4. It just remembers the last setting so if you don’t change the lens, the last setting is still active.
  5. Just make sure you get paid before you start flocking the brides...
  6. If you’re okay sticking with 1080p, you could always look into Olympus... the E-M5 Mark II has nice all-i 1080p and way better IBIS than the Sony. And then there’s always Fuji as well. The X-T20 is in your budget... pair it with the 18-55mm f/2.8-4 OIS lens and you will have a nice one lens set up, with great Fuji color.
  7. Yeah, @cantsin that is some of the nicest color from the BMPCC that I have seen. Who needs the P4K with an image like that?
  8. No question, I’d go with the a6500 over the a6300. But also be prepared to have a hard time seeing the LCD screen in daylight if using sLog and be prepared to get an on overheating warning. I can’t say much about the AF because I used old manual focus lenses with it. The 4K is insanely detailed and sharp, especially when downscaled to 1080p. And for me, the color was kinda wonky, but I’m sure a better colorist would do fine with it. With that being said, if you research online, there’s a reason why the lion share of wedding videographers still use Canon cameras. I honestly don’t believe in recommending cameras any more. I’ll discuss my experiences with them based on my limited skill set, but these choices are so personal to individual needs, one really has to decide what specific spec or specs get them hot and bothered and go from there. Whatever your choice, good luck!
  9. Honestly, other than ML Raw and the Canon color science, DPAF is one of the reasons I have transitioned back to Canon and will probably stick with them for years to come... even though I don’t own a Canon camera that has DPAF yet. Everything I have seen or heard about it is remarkable and going forward I decided to invest in Canon lenses. Sure I’d love to have a C200 but that’s definitely out of my price range right now, so I’ll eventually pick up either one of their new mirrorless cameras or a 5D Mark IV.
  10. Yeah the AF is impressive, what PP are you using?
  11. Totally off topic, but how do you like full frame?
  12. I think @webrunner5 was referring to cinema camera manufacturers, not all camera manufacturers.
  13. I’m not a Hugh Drone fan either. I enjoyed his earlier work but recently he really started to phone in his performances... and it always seems like he looks down on everybody.
  14. Yeah the nano coating is pretty amazing and it really helps keep the filter clean. I’d rather have the hard stops on the filter than a few extra stops of ND... it only becomes an issue with full afternoon sun at apertures faster than f/2.
  15. I think Zomei also uses Schott glass, so that’s something. In the past I used the Ritz Camera Store Brand because their VNDs used Schott Glass but I just got tired of the freewheeling spinning and X Pattern, so that’s when I decided to give the Bower a try and for a cheap filter, I cannot complain at all. I think you get 8 or 10 stops of ND and since I film a lot down the shore, on the beach, I’m never worried about them getting sand or salt water splattered.
  16. As far as VNDs go, I have always used them and have always been happy with them. But I have two points of criteria after testing a lot of cheap VNDs and a couple moderately priced ones... 1. I will only use VNDs that have hard stops. As most on here know, due to the nature of VNDs, if you push them into no man’s land, you can get the dreaded X pattern and in most instances you won’t notice it until after you get the footage into the computer. And strangely enough, there aren’t that many brands that offer the hard stops. 2. Color neutrality - most VNDs will have a color cast, especially the cheaper ones. With some cheap ones, like the Fotga, you’ll get a crazy greenish/brown color cast but you do gain a very specific look that is interesting in its own way, so for the price and a specific shoot, the Fotga is worth the $10. But most of the time I don’t want any color cast. So there are really only two brands I use now... • Bower - cheap around $30 a filter with neutral color and hard stops. These were shot wide open with an f/2 lens or faster and a Bower VND... • B+W Vario ND - they’re more expensive with less stops of ND but they are better built with a really nice coating... gotta love Schott Glass. And the less stops actually keeps me honest... forcing me to stop down my lens sometimes. These were also shot with an f/2 lens or faster using the B+W Vario ND...
  17. What VND did you use... because I saw nothing in that video that would disappoint me with my narrative work. And I assume that’s from the GH5?
  18. I watched it on my phone so I only had 1080p option but it still looked good. Don't you have a 5D4? If so, how does the M50 compare in your opinion?
  19. @kye although I agree that the Pocket ii isn’t really for you, you could use your Sigma 18-35mm with a Metabones Speedbooster and gain a full stop of exposure or you could buy a Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 or Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 and have IS and a stop giving you an f/2 which would give you the f/4 FF equivalent you’re looking for. With that being said, I still think you’d be better off with a C100 ii or some kind of Canon. I know you’re worried about drawing attention to yourself but plenty of families get away using bigger cameras and just look like tourists... because they are. Just by having a family in front of your lens will give you a lot of leeway.
  20. @docmoore nice video. Was this originally shot in 4K or 1080p? Either way, you gotta love Canon. Great color and pretty decent DR. I am fairly certain I am going to pick one up by the end of the summer. Thanks for posting!!!
  21. How can anyone tell how many stops of DR this camera has or doesn’t have under the shooting circumstances? Between the gazillion reflective surfaces, the white roof, the most annoying cloud coverage for shooting a wide angle with people, and the awesome YouTube compression, I’d say the video turned out fairly well under the circumstances. I didn’t even mention the patterns that dominate the frame at every single turn. And if you look up the shooter’s web site, there is quality work there. If I have to guess what camera was used... the colors look like a Panasonic to me, but I’m unsure to be honest.
  22. Don’t get me wrong, I love your Sony work, but there really was something special about your Nikon stuff... specifically that video you took on the beach with the Tokina (Angenieux) 28-70mm.
  23. @squig what’s that shot from?
×
×
  • Create New...