Best settings in Clubs with not much light (Sony A7S)

Johannes Derkannes

Hi, 

here is your german Friend with the bad english. 

Im searching for the best settings for clubs. 

I dont like to shoot with a led-light because without a led light the videos have more club-atmosphere. 

i am aware, that s-log has the best dynamic range but for the best results s-log must overexpose about 1-2 stops and that ist nearly impossible with so bad club-light (except i go to ISO 80.000). 

so i need a picture profile that works good for me in ISO 6400 - 12800 with a high dynamic range and good for postproduction. a profile where i can a little bit underexposed without much noise. 

i hope so much that you understand what i mean biggrin.png

you all are very friendy to me. thank you so much! 

best wishes
johannes  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi JD- use the fastest lens you have, use full frame (vs. APS-C) if you have a stable rig/tripod (else use APS-C to reduce rolling shutter (has more noise, however)), use just a little bit of diffuse LED light, and use Neat Video to remove noise and FilmConvert (or similar) to add grain. Stock PP6 works well in low light (tweak to suit your needs, ideally at home/studio using an HDTV to see your changes live while you test).

i would also suggest choosing particular spots in the venue where the light is more forgiving. For example if there is an area where a light usually shines, you could shoot that area from various angles, waiting for interesting subjects to move into that area. Street photographers use this kind of trick all the time.

Also watch out for the blue channel clipping this camera has with LED lights, many have complained about it while recording concerts/live events. There are workarounds like using a WB of 5500 or higher, if I recall correctly. There should be posts here or at dvxuser that detail how to avoid the issue.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?327633-A7S-colored-highlight-peaking&highlight=highlight+clipping