Best camera for movies on a budget

James

I am an aspiring young film maker who is trying to learn all about photography but I still have a long way to go. I have a Panasonic TM300 camcorder and it looks fine in the day but sucks at night. A friend was recently selling off his Sony RX 100 as he had just upgraded to a mark II and this looks decent at night. However they both have that so called 'digital' look. I want to get another camera, probaably a DSLR for that 'cinema look', which camera would be the best in your opinions for a dummy that will be easy to use, won't break the bank and give good cinematic results ? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated sirs. Thanks in advance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Still the (where is the love? Wasn't that a Lenny K. song?) old GH2 with a hack and some ol' glass. G6, from what I've seen so far, is more videoish.

In general: Especially if you're starting out, don't search for the cinematic look! Embrace digital. Make it better with innovative lighting (doesn't need to cost you a cent), well scouted and dressed locations, good acting (which always equals good directing) asf. Find a good story strong enough to shake the world. Tell something with all your deepest and honest emotion. The rest will find you and never leave you.

Im a huge GH2 fan we use ours alot here but I have to say Panasonic G6 beats it ,

Panasonic have listened to all us GH2 hackers and made a camera that has a better image quality than the GH2 hacked

and so no need for massive hacked 1gb per minuite files that the GH2 produces

We have done alot of extensive tests when we got the G6  direct tests with the same lenses on our GH2s and the G6 is better

not a huge amount better mainly no mosquito nosie in the dark/black areas and better IQ with smaller files

So we have made the switch - its not more videoish at all ....its the same sensor as the GH2 -

peolpe can think footage shot deep focus f11 , f16 f22 is videoish when its just a stopped down lens that they are viewing ,

the G6 can do all the narrow depth of field stuff just like the gh2 when I put all my fast lenses on it

Think of the g6 as a gh2 without needing to hack it and get massive files

G6 is a better camera its cheap new and widely available now

Think of the g6 as a gh2 without needing to hack it and get massive files

G6 is a better camera its cheap new and widely available now

I trust your verdict.

What about the OLED-viewfinder though? That kept me from buying the GH3 then. I definitely need to judge focus through the viewfinder, I even adapted a Zacuto eyepiece (an oval ring, hard work) to shove onto the hot shoe:

Zacuto-Muschel-1.JPG

Background is, I carry around the camera wherever I go, it really is my run&gun companion. I am not for swivel screens or bulky Hoodmans.

Axel - G6 viewfinder is great superb - much better than the GH2 finder

better colours and higher resolution

I use finder all the time rather than the screen its very accurate to use for focusing -

I highly recomend it - it is one of the big plus points for the G6 - you do NOT need to buy a third party add on finder

also GH2 finder is slightly brighter than the rear screen on the camera (the ones we use are) - so I was always compensating - but the G6 is as good as the same as the rear screen so I dont need to compensate - just shoot as it looks in the finder which is great

no its 50p on PAL cameras

this makes no differance what so ever - all these poeple harping on about 60p is only relevant if you are shooting 30p as your main real time speed , Pal is 25p and 50p its still 1/2 time as 50p so NO differance!!

watch the pop video I shot on a G6 with lots of 50p slo mo it listed above

about G6 is it possible to set custom white balance for "perfect" colours? thx

yes you can dial in the white balance from 2500k to 10000k

I think he is referring to the "WB shift" Andrew Reid recommends in his GH2 book. It counteracts the green cast you find especially on skin tones. With CC in post, you can tune this further, but all Canon EOS cams have beautiful colors out of the box.