nikon d5200?

jagnje

I'd skip the Atomos Ninja 2, and only consider the Ninja Blade. As vastly better screen, and gives you waveforms. 

As for the D5200, I got one as it was the best buy for its time. But today, I'd suggest taking a closer look at other affordable cameras such as the A6000 or G7. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The a6000/a5100 and g7 were my first picks, based on price, specs and ability to adapt just about any lens...especialy the a6000. I watched probably hundrets of clips of those online and it all sucked except a few. The green/yelow cast in sony skintones and overall britle and digital looking image of the g7...I thought it was just peoples unabiliti to grade, until I got to borow it(a6000) The skin looked ok-ish in sunlight, but horible under lights. I tried all of the picture profiles, got white balance spot on, used  pro arri lights. The client prefered the 550d by far and so did I.

a friend has the 5300, I asked him for some clips and just about everything was spot on in all the shots and just about every video I see it looks good at least.

Untill there is a proper mirrorless camera by canon or nikon it will have to do.

Well, I one feature for a weekly automotive tv show every week with a 550d, so I would not call it unusable :) far better that the eng cameras they used before. 

But yes, I agree that look wise the 5300/5500d is a far better camera than others in the price range. I just wish you could set the wb in kelvins.

one more question for budget nikon users...I have always set my expousure to the right ETTR with canon dslrs, but I have always used magci lantern. I usually  just set the expousure until I saw zebras and then pulled back a bit. how do you do ETTR on nikons and be sure you are not blowing out the highlights?