5 replies to this topic

#1 markm

markm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

The Hackintosh sounds great for those who know about computers Unfortuneatly All I know is windows and very limited knowledge on that.

What recommendations (Preferably laptop) to edit Raw on windows? Can it even be done without proxies?

#2 MOONGOAT

MOONGOAT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Windows [7] is perfectly capable of editing raw. Your hardware is what matters. Unfortunately I don't know too much about laptops.

#3 powderbanks

powderbanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:01 AM

this is total guess work, as i'm not 100% sure as what i takes to playback/edit raw, but i would say you should plan on getting a desktop replacement level laptop. ssd replacing the standard hdd, replace the optical drive with that said hdd drive (or a big ssd) for your cache. a top end mobile video card. usb 3.0 (or some other fast transfer speed i/o port). at least 8gb of ram. quad core processor. probably going to want an external raid array or two for your media files (i'd have one with mirrored disks for redundancy/back up and one with the data spread across several disks for speed/editing). all in all, i think you'd probably end up just barely able to work with raw files. why not build/buy a workstation?

#4 Leang

Leang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Location─░stanbul

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

would be nice to have a Maximus config with CS6.  Was thinking of upgrading to a K5000 vs. the 2000 I have, or buy a Tesla GPU for the 2000 I already have.  Then I upgrade to a 6000 later on for cheap.  Then again the K5000 has more than a 1000 cores running already.  

#5 GravitateMediaGroup

GravitateMediaGroup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

In preparation of the BMCC eventually making its way to me, I just had a pretty serious PC built, that way I'm not just staring at an amazing camera and no way to connect the dots.

#6 HurtinMinorKey

HurtinMinorKey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationCambridge MA, USA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

In preparation of the BMCC eventually making its way to me, I just had a pretty serious PC built, that way I'm not just staring at an amazing camera and no way to connect the dots.

What are the specs?

I was thinking of going for :

i7-3820

GTX 690 4GB

32GB ram

@$2500

+ Dell ultra-sharp 27'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users