Adding motion blur in post?

BrorSvensson

Hi! I ran into a bit of a problem last time i was out shooting a project, my china nd fader litterly broke into two pieces so the only options i had was to shoot at higher shutter speeds (1/500 (1/1000) or f8 and i opted for the former option. some clips you do notice it that much but on some high action scenes it looks quite bad. Is there any good programs or methods? I would really really appreciate some help asap.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Best results come by using it on individual clips, sometimes adjusting blur amount to avoid ugly artifacts. Generally though, it is an easy way to get motion blur back into high shutter footage. I often shoot handheld DSLR with higher shutter on purpose, so that Warp stabilizer has crisp frames to work from - giving better/ smoother results. Then I run a pass on each clip with the Reelsmart motion blur effect to get the 1/50th motion blur back.

Works very well, worth the extra time if you need everything to look as good as it can.

If you have After Effects, try pixel motion blur. I've found it to be quite good, but be sure to bump up the frame count for good results. It is dog slow though, so you'll need to add that to your workflow time. The ReelSmart motion blur is really fast (especially when using graphics card), but produced strange artifacts, at least in my testing. 

If you have After Effects, try pixel motion blur. I've found it to be quite good, but be sure to bump up the frame count for good results. It is dog slow though, so you'll need to add that to your workflow time. The ReelSmart motion blur is really fast (especially when using graphics card), but produced strange artifacts, at least in my testing. 

Pixel motion blur is a good suggestion to try too.

Yes - Reelsmart can produce artifacts sometimes (usually at the start of a clip), I usually can eliminate these by keyframing the setting to 'ramp' on at the start of each clip. Most post-motion blur effects rely on motion analysis from your footage, not all footage will work first time, and may require tweaking in the effect control parameters. Often a lower than default setting is enough, just to take the edge off the super sharp shutter look.

If used for a fast-pace action sequence, when viewed in context (fast cuts) - it often hides all but the biggest of warp artifacts from post motion blur shots.