BM Video Assist or SHD 501

Turboguard

i've only ever owned one external monitor from Ikan that I returned the same day. Always been good using the LCD screens to frame and pull focus/exposure but I'm starting to get more jobs now and need to start getting into a faster workflow (using false color for exposure, higher resolution screen for clients to look at while shooting etc).

As I can't really afford something extreme and I've hated most older monitors I've tried at B&H I'm not set my eyes on the BM Video Assist for 500 and the SmallHD 501 for 900. They both seems to have pros and cons compared. I never have used Luts on location but sounds really cool, BM doesn't seem to have that while SmallHD does. BM has higher resolution screen and the basic stuff I'm used to but worried there might not be false color. Anyhow, turning to you pro's on here for advice how to make my decision!

thanks Chris

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Blackmagic video assist will work worse as a pure monitor. It has no false colour, no waveform monitor, no Lut support, the panel technology is old and will be reflective in daylight (glossy), but the party trick it has is the ProRes recording to an SD card of course, and its price. For the casual user who wants an OK monitor and a recorder it's lovely. 

But you seem like a person who needs a really high quality panel, the SmallHD 501 is being sworn by as the best 5" calibrated field monitor, and it's sharp, has 3D lut support, false colour with various modes, and it's lighter, BUT it's more expensive, much more. 

In my opinion, for a client monitor I would go with a 7" not 5". And for the 501 price point there are other excellent monitors at 7" & 5", for example if you want a 7" you can get a Convergent design Odyssey 7, which is a high quality, very accurate and full featured monitor plus it has a recorder as well for ProRes and DNxHD. The Odyssey monitor is very common among high end work. So I'd go for that if I can take a 7". 

For a 5", I still wouldn't go for the 501, I find it too expensive just for the amazing size which I don't need really. So I'd wait for the Sound devices PIX-5E external recorder, the product still hasn't shipped or been tested as of now (as BMVA) but sound devices have a common history of making top notch products, especially in the built quality area, the new recorder is probably a tank, and the panel has all the monitoring features you need + a high end 4K recorder through HDMI for future (A7s/gh4/nx1/A7RII/FS7) needs. 

I just think the 501 is over priced for the size of it, that specific need. So I'd get the Odyssey now (around 1200$) if I go for 7" (it truly is an excellent monitor), and if I want a 5", I'd wait for the Pix-5 to come out and see it. If the panel is as good as the 501 I'd get that. If the panel is crap, then my only option would be the 501.