Shooting a short

Tim Sewell

I was given a free temporary license of Dehancer to do a review for them and they said I would receive a free permanent license upon finishing the review (whether I gave it a positive or negative review).  I tried it and declined to continue.  If you already have a Nitrate license from FilmConvert, you're in the right place.  Dehancer did a few things better and could make a pretty nice starting point for an image, but the output colors in many cases didn't actually match the film that it claimed to be emulating (like not even close with Velvia 50) - and their answers for why made no sense at all.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

I bought FilmConvert years ago but balked at paying for Dehancer. And yes, of course you could do subtractive sat before now, but nowhere near as easily as slices and FLC make it.

True.  Especially if you wanted to have good control over it independently across the 6 main colours.

There's a lot of talk about how these two plugins are going to put DCTL writers (plugin scripts essentially) out of business. I don't think it will, because DCTLs can be made to do a lot more things than they are currently used for, but it's an interesting observation that the DCTL writers were using them to do things like this because they weren't so easy from the UI.

11 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

I was given a free temporary license of Dehancer to do a review for them and they said I would receive a free permanent license upon finishing the review (whether I gave it a positive or negative review).  I tried it and declined to continue.  If you already have a Nitrate license from FilmConvert, you're in the right place.  Dehancer did a few things better and could make a pretty nice starting point for an image, but the output colors in many cases didn't actually match the film that it claimed to be emulating (like not even close with Velvia 50) - and their answers for why made no sense at all.

In the same way that a new camera gets everyone on here excited and then start to argue with each other, discussing film emulation has the same effect on the colourist groups.

I've found two things:

1) The more I read these discussions the more I realise I don't know.  
2) The more I read these discussions the more I realise I don't care!

Seriously, the focus for the colourists who are arguing seems to be how accurate they are.  What is interesting though, is like here with cameras, the people arguing seem to care a lot about tiny little things, and yet the people out in the world doing the things also don't care about the accuracy of the tiny little things, but just see the emulations as useful for actually doing real work.

I suspect that the niche for Dehancer is likely to either be that it's more accurate, at least for certain film-stocks, or that it is more useful in some feature or other.  These are the kinds of things that colourists seem to care about.  The fact you tested it with a stills film rather than a motion picture stock might also be significant as the colourists likely don't care too much about those.

In general, the stills stuff is a really close match for the film stocks (differences in the production are tiny)...  and we weren't talking about a small difference, especially in the greens.  Meanwhile, FilmConvert and Fuji's own Velvia profile both look quite a bit like my slides.  😄

As you said, though, a lot of the people using it have never actually used the film stocks that it claims to emulate - and some of their emulations look nice.  If you won't suffer cognitive dissonance from many of them not looking a lot like what they claim to be and/or want to use ACES as a starting point, it's a decent product.  Unless something changed recently, FilmConvert really doesn't have a good story for ACES (I think that last time I checked, it was "transform out of ACES into something else, apply FilmConvert, and then transform back").

7 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

I was out-of-date and it's not as bad as I remembered, but still not great.  But yes, I'd say it's a stretch that professional colorists are spending a lot of time in Nitrate.

https://www.filmconvert.com/blog/filmconvert-nitrate-for-aces-workflow/

Ha - what a workflow!  

Considering that normally you'd want to grade in between the two emulations (negative and print films) that's not exactly a good setup!