Canon 4K mirrorless DSLR available within 12 months

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/canon-4k-dslr-rear.jpg[/img]

Canon’s Chuck Westfall has [url="http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/4/2538910/canon-eos-c300-1080p-chuck-westfall"]said[/url] the new 4K concept DSLR will be on the market within 12 months. He made the comment in an interview with The Verge magazine. The rear of the camera gives us some other clues – it has a wide 16:9 screen rather than the usual 4:3 or 3:2 screen on normal DSLRs.

[url="/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest William De Young
[html]

I really love the idea of canon pushing harder to gain market on the DSLR market /mirror less market and so on. But it’s kind of weird that they are going to come out with camera that shoots 4k when they came out now with a cinema camera that just output 1080p. Thats makes this totally weird but hey, if its true, fine by me. I hope it will not cost 20k thought…

[/html]

Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

It is 1080p because that is where the TV production market is at the moment. 4K isn’t mass market yet. When a studio, crew or TV production chooses a camera they want a very good HD camera.

[/html]

Guest danielblanco
[html]

This is all great news, but I hope we have next year something (let’s call it EOS 650D) that it’s on par with the Lumix GH-2 image quality, for us video enthusiasts. Canon started as a lider (on video democratization) and is getting behind, as a simple follower. We need something more risky from them, not just small iterations over what’s already there.

And Canon, don’t forget 1080 60p!! I can’t believe the C300 doesn’t have it…

[/html]

Guest Simco123
[html]

It won’t cost $20k because it is not Canon’s flagship 1DX priced at $6800 and too high a price it will risk alienation from mass market appeal. I think it will take the place of the old APS-H 1D series in price range $3-$4k, 18mp, electronic ND filter, low fps and fewer AF points than 1DX.

[/html]

Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

I am expecting around the $6k mark for the 4K DSLR. $4K for 4K won’t happen yet. 5D Mark III should be the one to get in my view. $3k is much more accessible.

[/html]

Guest matt2491
[html]

You know, for me, part of the greatness of the first generation DSLR’s was the dual functionality of stills AND video. I love my T2i for this very reason. I can work around with this tiny thing and shoot some really sharp stills as well as flip into movie mode and keep right on shooting nice 1080p footage.

I guess that means my two biggest concerns are: How crippled will the picture-taking aspect of this camera be? And how much is it going to cost??

[/html]

Guest Simco123
[html]

The problem will be how does it fit in with the 1DX? If it is price at $6k it will each into each others market because price point are too close and Canon don’t sell too many cameras at $6k and above. The price gap at $4k between 5DMkIII and 1DX make more sense. One has to remember other companies are moving towards 4k video dSLRs with competitive price in the next 12 months so Canon C camera is not alone.

[/html]

Guest Daniel Blanco
[html]

” other companies are moving towards 4k video dSLRs with competitive price in the next 12 months”

Which company is going to release a 4K video DSLR with competitive price in the next 12 months?? I haven’t found any news or rumor regarding this

[/html]

Guest danyyyel
[html]

As a Nikon photography shooter (profession) who has bought a Canon 7d and now a gh2. If you have the means, it is silly to wait. Just buy yourself a gh2 body for about $ 800 and an adapter for your lens. When and if Canon comes out with an update to their video dslr you can sell the body for just a little loss. The hacked gh2 is only incredible. I just can’t compare it with the 7D, it is just another world. No aliasing, moire. true true high resolution images and for me wo lives in a hot climate. No overheating. You just shoot the only thing you have to care is not to shook it too much because it has rolling shutter as the other cmos sensor camera.

[/html]

Guest Daniel Blanco
[html]

The mirror doesn’t make it take better photos (look at the NEX5N or NEX7). If Canon makes a video oriented Full Frame DSLR (ok, it won’t technically be a DSRL if they remove the mirror…) it will have nice stills features, at least as good as a EOS 60D I bet.

[/html]

Guest bannedindv
[html]

Interesting how you are attempting a media blackout on the Red Scarlet here. Why wait 12 months for 4k Motion Jpeg – when you could be shooting 4K raw files next month – just saying…

As for C300 – it doesn’t look as good as a 5D mark II or 7D, or Gh2 because the imaging path is only 8 bit color from the sensor through the imaging pipeline, versus 12 or 14 bit color D/A to 8 bit color recording…

[/html]

Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

Yeah, it’s like a fanatical religion when its actually just a brand. Surely there are better things to worship in life than damned camera companies.

[/html]