Canon 4K mirrorless DSLR available within 12 months

Andrew Reid

Guest Fandongo
[html]

TV production people still want 4:3 SD. 1080p 16:9 makes them look stupid when they have to make significantly more frame look pretty…and get the right subject in focus.
Most camera men are too fat and blind to get into the details.
^^ totally unbiased facts. =)

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest christophweihs
[html]

have you actually looked at the red 4k footage..

the red 4k looks only a little bit better than upscaled 1080p from a hacked gh2.. no kidding.
it is like 16mp mobile cameras : P

red versus 32mbit gh2

http://vimeo.com/30751603

red still craps at 5k.. which can be opened in photoshop scaled down to 1080p and when you upscale to 5k again is has pretty much the same detail : P

all this “oh i can crap 5k still from my red” is.. well bull****. look at the images.. such a jpeg would be totally unacceptable from a dslr

blog

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2011/06/09/red-epic-5k-and-hdrx/

sample

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/wp-content/uploads/MonoFULL.jpg

i would have to bring it down to at least 3k to have same pixel sharpness as from a dslr
and when you crop to 3:2 there are only 2373*1582 pixels left.

you might need the better audio options and what not but from a resolution standpoint the red is actually pretty lame..

[/html]

Guest gene_can_sing
[html]

This is the dream camera for solo / small crew shooters – Full Fame sexiness, small size, and 4K is great for the green screen we have at our studio, and 2K for everything else. EF mount is OK with me since I have a good deal of Canon and Zeiss lenses that interface, but a shorter flange length would be a bonus, but I doubt it’s going to happen.

I think it’s interesting how the EF mount is slowly becoming the de-facto low budget cine mount. The new REDs come with EF mounts and it seems a number of cine lenses being released are going the same way.

As for Andrew shunning the new Scarlet, that camera has such a completely different work flow than DSLRs, and probably doesn’t really fit into the paradigm of “EOSHD.com.” The Scarlet is not a small camera at all. It’s 5.5 lbs just for the brain. Add a lens, LCD screen, battery, handle, etc… and it’s probably pushing 10 lbs. Not exactly the freedom of DSLRs, a completely different beast. It would be hard to shoot with just one person. More of a crew type camera.

REDs are also notoriously buggy. I’ve work on a number of jobs now that were shot on a RED, and there is almost ALWAYS issues, especially in post. It just seems like their cameras are forever in BETA and RAW is extremely tedious and time consuming to work with. Not the nice, fast DSLR codec work flow. Philip Bloom blogged that his new $58,000 RED Epic had major mechanical malfunctions on the first 2 shoots in a row. Now’s he’s a bit nervous about using it. For 58K, it should not break the first two times out. REDs are a completely different sub-species than DSLRs and different than the new Canon c300 which who’s ergonomics are very DSLR inspired.

So yeah, hoping this camera lives up to the hype. If it does, it will probably be the best DSLR of all time (so far). Keeping my fingers crossed.

[/html]

Guest Daniel Blanco
[html]

OK, I’m sure it will eventually happen but, do you have any insights, or it’s just speculation (no problems with that).

[/html]

Guest OverCranked
[html]

Good point.
With SONY, RED, and Canon showing their stuff already there is a gaping hole in $5K ~$9K with 3K capabilities left wide open for Panasonic to occupy quickly. Panasonic has been quiet for a long while and if they disappoint the way the other sisters did we are entering some unknown territories.

[/html]

Guest Neil Russell
[html]

I realize it’s just a prototype, but I wonder if they’re considering making the LCD flip out.
From the image it looks like it’s fixed like the 550D.

(or is that a 1DX and I just read it wrong?)

[/html]

Guest GUNDAMMRW
[html]

all the photo’s we have seen of it are just the 1DX but they put a little red “C” sticker over the logo for the 1DX. Its more to give an idea of what to look forward to. If you look at pics of the 1DX its identical.

From a few of my sources it will be a little closer in design to the C300. Think child of 5d and C300.

[/html]

Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

Panasonic don’t seem to be advancing their sensor technology as quickly as I’d hoped given the manufacturing investment and capacity. They need an AF100 replacement to compete on specs especially at the higher end. Maybe price will save it, I don’t know. The new GX1 is a high end mirrorless but has the same old tech as other G series cameras, all rather reheated. Panasonic can do better than this!

[/html]

Guest quobetah
[html]

First of all I am really disgusted at the complete news-black out of RED Scarlet here..given the fact that you do cover other camera brands such as GH2 and Sony. And all these rationalizations people give about you shunning it is completely ridiculous. 1. Image quality and reliability of RED being crap?! Watdafuck?! You think Peter Jackson with his half a billion dollar budget for his latest film would buy 48 RED Cameras if the image quality and reliability and final image suck and can be replaced with a GH2?!? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, I cannot imagine how ridiculously stupid the some of this site’s fans are. Just because you saw one vimeo video of an uncontrolled non scientific image qualitu comarison, a couple of blogs and a RED-newbie speak about their bad experience suddenly you completely believe that it is crap. That is totally stupid.

About RED being beyond this site’s range of product weight tolerance, watdafuck?! If can be held just like a souped up DSLR ready for an actual serious shoot. I mean, if your really shooting serious wour eith a 5D youd have to include a cage for the mic, lights, matte box and shoulder mount right?! So the size and weight difference isssue is complletely ridiculous.

Stop reasoning out for this site’s BIAS. Its BIAS. Period. RED is the company that will shatter Canons dream into the pro video market, and Sony is wiping its ass off Canon’s framerates with its 1080p 60p even with the $600 dollar digicam-sized Nex5N.

Like how everyone said, regarding this 12 month “promise” of Canon for 4K. Why da-F wait. Scarlet and Epic is here. If you need 4K, make like the pros and buy/rent one.

[/html]

[html]

What we need now is the new Canon line with real 1080p. I definitely cannot wait another year for a camera I could never afford [img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[/html]

[html]

Are you sure about that, in par with the GH2? Remember that now canon has to protect their video cameras! Sony didn’t fix anything with the nex5/a77 but the fs100/f3 are outstanding. Probably Canon will unfortunately follow this trend.

[/html]

Guest OverCranked
[html]

@quobetah
Perhaps you should send one of your RED cameras to Andrew for a hands on review ! i pay the shipping ( one way )
The fact that even the low end RED camera ( scarlet ) could cost as high as $14000.00 without a lens, make those cameras redundant for masses. To top it up in order to get the claimed and prized 4K qualities out of even the low end scarlet one would need a true 4K lens which cost some where between $5000.00 and kings Ransom.
There are enough fan-faires around about all things RED these days that i wouldn’t be surprised to read about it on the back of my serial box a year from now. i’m not sure where your lack of Vitamin RED comes from and why you need to get it on EOSHD !?

First rule of industrial production ( from my economy 101 ) : ” Out of reach out of mind “

[/html]

[html]

I have problems with that comparison video, mainly because he used a 1920×1080 crop on the RED camera but the whole sensor on the GH2. If he had used the telecrop mode of the GH2 it would have been a more direct comparison but to me it was a little bit shady to only use a 1080 cropped portion on the RED sensor through the entire test when that’s using only about one-seventh of the sensor. He could have at least taken a few shots at full resolution and downsampled them to 1080

Canon’s cinema DSLR should give beautiful images that would give RED a run for their money, at least if you don’t have to do extensive grading. Unlike some other posters here, I don’t think this camera will cost more than the 1Dx, unless the hardware needed to compress 4K off the sensor into motion jpeg on the fly is very expensive. I don’t see why Canon would need to build it like a tank or put such an insanely fast (and expensive) mirror system in it, so production costs should be a bit less

[/html]

Guest studio17b
[html]

I love RED and if it were a woman I would bed it.

Happy? Seriously, though, I make a living partly as a scriptwriter, have a couple of films out and several TV series, too. But I’m tired of big budget pro productions where my script goes through a dozen committees and by the end of it what goes on screen bears little resemblance to what I wrote. Since sourcing for funding for the personal work that I want to do will likely still entail compromising and kowtowing to the sponsors, I’ve decided to buy a small Panasonic and learn how to shoot it myself. Would my film look better on a RED? Maybe. Maybe not. But with the Panasonic I can go out just on my own and come back with something I could use.

So for me personally this site’s coverage is simply perfect. I could do without the talk about higher end cameras like the C300 or FS100. All the gear talk only serves as a distraction to me, when all I want is to learn as much about small camera shooting as I can. If I want RED talk, I’d probably go look in the RED oriented websites instead.

[/html]

[html]

first off, I’m sure Andrew has no intention to “media blackout” the RED cameras. Go easy guys, and be realistic. Andrew pretty clearly has an emphasis on this site towards less expensive gear. Along the lines of “media blackout” accusations, I could damn him for not talking about Master Primes or Panavision anamorphics. He writes good reviews on reasonably accessible (and priced) gear.

second, I’m earnestly hoping (probably in vain) that this camera will be what pushes all manufacturers to the next level. 4K, interchangeable lens, (hopefully) good on-camera image processing, etc.

the 4K beast should really be a simple formula: good sensor (with reasonable DR, good highlight rolloff, good color), minimal manipulation from sensor to storage, HDMI out, XLR in, interchangeable lenses (obviously). Surely this is doable for under $5k.

[/html]