Nikon D810 scores 14.8 in DR -

lafilm

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That does look nice for stills.

Remember though that the A7s is NOT the greatest camera for DR at base ISO for stills.     It scores 13 stops at base which while still pretty good is not its main "thing".     

The D810 DR actually pretty closely follows the normal A7 DR and gets the higher score courtesy of having ISO 50.       At ISO 100 the D810 and A7 are pretty much the same and stay together until ISO 25600 when the A7 maxes out.

The A7s on the other hand, takes the lead  over the other two at ISO 400 and by ISO 6400 is a stop better and  about 2 stops better at ISO 25600 (again that is for stills).

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D810-versus-Sony-A7S-versus-Sony-A7___963_949_916

This guy always post a fake comparison video when a new camera comes out.

I know.  I never trust his comparisons.  I think he is just trying to get advertising money by being the first with comparison video.  You can't get much out of this comparison anyway.  The Sony was exposed so much darker.

Michael

I know.  I never trust his comparisons.  I think he is just trying to get advertising money by being the first with comparison video.  You can't get much out of this comparison anyway.  The Sony was exposed so much darker.

Michael

Yes. Those videos are fake.

But, now a few D810 tests by people have actually started to appear on vimeo. Search for D810 on vimeo and filter on date to see the most recent videos.

The Jen Somerfield video linked earlier in this thread is by far the bestlooking one I've seen so far.

I also checked a few others. Here's a 50p/60p video with some slow-motion footage:

And a very shaky moire/aliasing test video:

The camera seems to resolve well, and there's a bit of aliasing. Hard to tell if the aliasing is much improved from the D800. From what I can see on these test videos, it seems like the main improvement on D810 is the 1080 50p/60p modes. Otherwise it looks fairly similar to D800 footage.

With so many vids on the Internet, how the hell can you tell which ones are fake? Is this one guy from You Tube already notorious for spamming the web, and I missed that memo??

Also..please don't tell me Jen Somerfield's Nikon D810 video is fake as well?! Can you prove Jen is a spammer as well?

How do you people stay on top of all these videos/spammers??

Frustrating :unsure: 

With so many vids on the Internet, how the hell can you tell which ones are fake? Is this one guy from You Tube already notorious for spamming the web, and I missed that memo??

Also..please don't tell me Jen Somerfield's Nikon D810 video is fake as well?! Can you prove Jen is a spammer as well?

How do you people stay on top of all these videos/spammers??

Frustrating :unsure: 

Most of them are real.  It's just this one guy that we see all the time who does the same thing over and over with camera comparisons.  Sometimes he screws up, and posts a video for a camera that is still in development.

Michael

And a very shaky moire/aliasing test video:

The camera seems to resolve well, and there's a bit of aliasing. Hard to tell if the aliasing is much improved from the D800. From what I can see on these test videos, it seems like the main improvement on D810 is the 1080 50p/60p modes. Otherwise it looks fairly similar to D800 footage.

Aliasing looks significantly worse than on the D5300 (which basically has none - I've only ever seen a tiny bit of moire on the D5300). Resolution looks pretty similar to the D5300, possibly slightly better but hardly noticeably. Dynamic range does look decent, but then the D5300 has great DR too (with a Flaat type profile you can get up to an apparent DR of up to 13 stops). The only real advantage I can see of the D810 so far is the feature-set (and full frame obviously, if you want it). Meh.

Aliasing looks significantly worse than on the D5300 (which basically has none - I've only ever seen a tiny bit of moire on the D5300). Resolution looks pretty similar to the D5300, possibly slightly better but hardly noticeably. Dynamic range does look decent, but then the D5300 has great DR too (with a Flaat type profile you can get up to an apparent DR of up to 13 stops). The only real advantage I can see of the D810 so far is the feature-set (and full frame obviously, if you want it). Meh.

If you're only after a camera for video use, yes, then D810 won't be the one. If you're taking a lot of stills, you like full frame and need decent video as well, the D810 is a great choice. But, it doesn't seem to perform that much differently from D800 neither in stills nor with video - and used D800s can be found a lot cheaper.

(I've found on the D800 that you can almost always spot where moire/aliasing will occur. Just need to set those areas out of focus a slight bit and the shots will be alright. If that isn't acceptable, look at other cameras.)

If video is the main use of a camera I'd surely have a look at A7S instead. This one won't beat the A7S for video.

Btw. From my own findings with D800: It seems like the more flat I go with the profiles, the less color saturation I seem to get when grading. Have you had similar findings with D5300?

Due to that, I often use Portrait or Standard profiles with contrast and sharpening down just a slight bit nowadays.

Btw. From my own findings with D800: It seems like the more flat I go with the profiles, the less color saturation I seem to get when grading. Have you had similar findings with D5300?

Due to that, I often use Portrait or Standard profiles with contrast and sharpening down just a slight bit nowadays.

Nope. The colours of the D5300 are the main reason i really like the camera. It grades great too. I shoot with Flaat 11 most of the time and can bring back very punchy colours from it:

(this one was actually shot on quite a dull day too!)

In really bright daylight I prefer my G6, but for indoors and in shade or on duller days,the Nikon is usually better unless resolution of ease-of-use is more important for what you're doing than colour and dynamic range.

I hope they hack the D5300 sometime soon. Detail is the only real downside of the image ...

Michael - Thanks for clearing that up…amazing how many people can waste their lives by posting bullshit.

I must say I disagree with the D5300 being anywhere near this new D810.

D810 is clearly sharper (even sharper than the D810 or 5D3) It seems at least as sharp as the Canon 1D X - with much better Dynamic Range. It also has this new Auto-ISO that seemed liked nonsense to me, until I saw it in the short below.

Seems the D810 has nailed the skin/color tones right out of the gate with much better white balance feature. (that sucked on the D810)

With better DR and great slow mo at 1080p, this looks like a killer cam if you love the FULL FRAME look. With a HELL of a lot less hassle in post than the A7s - and its as sharp if not sharper than the Sony A7s or Canon 1D X in 1080p.

It also has new Zebras for exposure and better low-light.

Only downside is no 4K, which may kill it for indie guys. However, you can go out external for clean.

Watch the Dynamic Range and the colors and "Filmic" look below and you'll understand why Phillip Bloom is praising this camera.

And probably why Andrew Reid praises guys like Kendy Ty, whose very last short was shot with the Canon 5D3 and looks fantastic. These full frame cams just look more like movies the second you hit the record button. 

HUGE win for Nikon in my opinion and certainly the best DSLR they ever made for shooting movies.

That video looks very good. Actually it's strange because the reviews show it has almost the same aliasing as the d800, this means lineskipping. But the video doesn't show any of the d800 flaws, the colors workout fine and the highlights don't suck as on the d800.

Expeed4 is doing wonders with the sensor.

araucaria - yes, I think you nailed it…highlights look great...I'm not sure what other guys are not seeing with this cam…but even The director (a known D800 user) of the piece talks about the D810 process in the comments below the video...including the improvements with aliasing and sharpness/dynamic range.

The DR seems to be worth the upgrade alone if you have Nikkor lenses.

There's no 4K with this camera, however if you are ok with 1080p HD and the full frame look....this cam will make you think about your new purchase.

I didn't even know that Nikon put their new Expeed 4 sensor in the D810 - the new sensor must be making the huge difference...I was shocked when I watched this....I mean, c'mon..this is H264 video...and the director says straight out that this entire short was filmed D810 internally!!….no HDMI to external!!! :o

Guys, this video was shot for Nikon. You can't take any objective conclusions from it. Seriously. This is designed to make the camera look awesome, not put it through it's paces. Why aren't we seeing any aliasing? Because Nikon don't want us to ...