Stock Footage - Camera Choices

Oliver Daniel

A friend has asked me to team up and create stock footage clips - not that I have any time but the whole model has left me interested and curious. I understand the how to sell it, what to sell etc, all been discussed and researched. Camera choice though...

It's my thinking that stock footage should be future-proofed (shot in 4k) and have different resolutions available. Also that it would be most beneficial to shoot with both a pretty awesome camera (A7S, GH4) and a small compact for those spontaneous moments when stealth is required or I'm not carrying my main camera bag. The upcoming Panasonic LX8 looks great for that. 

The above all includes 4k, timelapse, and slow motion.

Anybody else out there who sell stock footage, and what your camera choice would be and why?

Thank you, much appreciated. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, if you take a look at what's being sold right now, most of it is footage from small sensor cameras (TV look, not filmic). As long as you choose a professional TV camera -4K woud be great-, your footage would be OK. I imagine it has to do with who buys stock footage and what for. I'd say its mostly low level corporate video and news... so your footage would be more useful if it cuts well with whatever they have shot (tripod or very steady shots, locked camera & short smooth pans, some slider shots, deep focus with vivid colors).

Apart from the usual crappy "office worker" "handshake" and "meeting" clips, I've seldom found FF look in stock footage. Would you use stock footage if it were a commercial or music video you were shooting? The few times I have used it have been upon client request of some aerial shot or establishing shot of a landmark in a foreign city (after any budget for travelling or shooting had been spent).

Maybe a Panasonic LX8 is actually a good choice, except for the compressed codec...