A7S review from a Photographers Perspective

Zach Ashcraft

Sam Hurd is one of the best photographers currently out there in my opinion. He's been shooting with the A7r for a few months, and just put up a review of the A7S. He is using primarily leica lenses, and mentions the usefulness of focus peaking in the viewfinder with manual lenses. Its a good read from a different perspective! 

http://www.samhurdphotography.com/2014/gear-reviews/sony-a7s-review-sony-a7s-vs-a7r

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sam Hurd is one of the best photographers currently out there in my opinion. He's been shooting with the A7r for a few months, and just put up a review of the A7S. He is using primarily leica lenses, and mentions the usefulness of focus peaking in the viewfinder with manual lenses. Its a good read from a different perspective! 

http://www.samhurdphotography.com/2014/gear-reviews/sony-a7s-review-sony-a7s-vs-a7r

Don't they all do focus peaking in the viewfinder? 

As much as I loved the Nikon d600, it doesn't have an EVF so you can't focus zoom in the viewfinder (you'd need to use Liveview).  When you can put a manual lens on a full-frame, focus zoom into your subject's eye, and focus so their eyeball-iris is Crystal-sharp, you get a little excited :)  

The only thing I don't like about EVF's is they seem to blank out a hair longer than an optical viewfinder. 

One of them pointed out that auto focus worked in almost no light (without assist light) on the a7s.

I never expected to like the silent shutter as much as I do on the GM1.  If money were not object, I might get an 7s for that alone!

A negative about these cameras, for me, is I'm moving away from manual lenses.  There are times I just need auto-focus. The Sony lenses are expensive and difficult to find used.

If you're referring to the Sony A7 models, I'm not sure, but I think so. He talks about why he likes this model more than the others

That's why I was a bit confused - surely that's not a reason to like them more than the others?

The only thing I don't like about EVF's is they seem to blank out a hair longer than an optical viewfinder. 

That's really a matter of processing power. I've got a Nikon 1 V2 and the first time I tried it with the electronic shutter I was madly pressing at the shutter button wondering why nothing was happening - the total lack of a blackout and nearly no stutter combined with a relatively static scene made it look like the camera didn't fire - except I had already taken 20 photos of the same scene!