Aliasing showing up when importing to Adobe

Inazuma

adobe_render_issue.jpg

When I did the camera test a few weeks ago some people said they saw aliasing and a little moire on the bricks and weatherboards. I was surprised because I'd never seen this issue before when using this camera. So I had a look and saw what they meant.

On the left is the original .MTS video from my camera when viewing with WMP or VLC. On the right is how it looks when I import it to Adobe Premiere Pro. It looks like that after rendering too. This issue is not present if I convert the MTS to ProRes first.

Can anyone explain this?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You didn't write what camera you shot with. Some cameras have psf modes (progressive segmented frames), for instance to get 1080 25p (european standard framerate, which subjectively looks the same as 24p - or 23,98p -, but which doesn't cause flicker with 50Hz power frequency) in order to make the video compliant with the bluray standard, which includes 1080 50i, but not 25p. Also DVDs for PAL can contain 25p "as" 50i. The Canon XHA1 shot psf, the HBR mode of the GH2 was psf (in Europe at least), these are the two I know of.

Be it as it may, the psf is actually nothing else but a flag. It's progressive video, but it tells the NLE that it isn't. Afaik, you shouldn't manually tell Premiere that you shot "p". If you did, it is like AKH said: Premiere will deinterlace it and introduce those artifacts.

You can however, unless you want to burn a BD, export as progressive.