New MacBook

Michael Thames

I was synching with PluralEyes on my MacBook Pro 2011 and had no problem getting it to work on my 2013 Mac. I'm not understanding here - are you buying a used MacBook? Are you purchasing it from the Apple store? All the new models come with Mavericks, NOT Mountain Lion. 

Or are you getting a 2012 model? I'm confused...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I was synching with PluralEyes on my MacBook Pro 2011 and had no problem getting it to work on my 2013 Mac. I'm not understanding here - are you buying a used MacBook? Are you purchasing it from the Apple store? All the new models come with Mavericks, NOT Mountain Lion. 

Or are you getting a 2012 model? I'm confused...

It's a new one..... I got it here..... in fact I'm typing on it right now.... ha ha!  It is OSX 10.8.3 it's a new one but from early 2013.  Is there any advantage to using Mavericks?

http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-MacBook-Pro/product~dpno~9835334~pdp.iefbabd  

How do you get Pluraleyes on the new mac just drag it into it? 

Thanks for the recommendation I will get a USB focus controller, looks like the way to go!

Shit, Mike, I actually took a look at some youtube videos of these things and I have to say the focus "stepping" lacks smoothness. (What's the point of pulling focus if it looks bad?) Plus I saw one with QC issues.

I did watch a video claiming that Canon USM lenses work great but there wasn't any footage backing it up. :/

I took the plunge on a "remote" follow focus. The problems I encountered were:

1) I can't use a focus-by-wire lens. (Obviously.)
2) I can't use a lens with a loose focusing ring. (Obviously.)
3) My camera needs a cage.
4) My lens mount adapter needs to be mounted to a cheese plate.
5) My camera cage needs to be mounted to that same cheese plate.
6) The #@!$ing lens still wobbles, I need a lens support.
7) The follow focus servo has too much torque.
8) Break down, buy a cine lens, enjoy my new setup and the nirvana of pulling focus remotely.

0eDEnb7.jpg

Anyway, I own this (that's just the remote,) a Wondlan. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it's loud, finicky, and I had to swap out servos and solder a new wire to "fix" it.

But now it works beautifully and I'll run it into the ground before I buy something else.

@Michael There are over 200 changes and new features in Mavericks. It offers improved battery life, better iCloud keychain integration among devices, improved notifications, 4K support for MacBook Pro and Mac Pro, etc.

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/os-x/

In order to run or update many apps, it is necessary to go with Mavericks. As far as I can recall, I just opened PluralEyes on my new computer and entered the code. FCPX does have audio synching, but I have never tried it.

@Michael There are over 200 changes and new features in Mavericks. It offers improved battery life, better iCloud keychain integration among devices, improved notifications, 4K support for MacBook Pro and Mac Pro, etc.

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/os-x/

In order to run or update many apps, it is necessary to go with Mavericks. As far as I can recall, I just opened PluralEyes on my new computer and entered the code. FCPX does have audio synching, but I have never tried it.

Jonpais, I'm downloading Mavericks as we speak.  I went to buy FC-X today but wouldn't download until I installed Mavericks.  I called Apple today to ask about FCP6 running on Mavericks..... they said yea it will run, but installing is another story.  I've Googled and found nothing but problems trying to do this.  However, the first time I did it,  I had it installed on Snow Leopard then downloaded Mountain Lion and it worked fine, but if you do it the other way around..... have Mountain Lion or Mavericks already installed good luck with trying to install FCP6.  So I guess today it the day I say goodbye to my trusty friend (FCP6) and embrace FC-X.  Anyone need FCP6..... I got the box, CD's and all manuals. 

That is great news to hear FC-X has video/audio sinking!  I'm having a hard time finding my old license for Pluraleyes.   

I agree with jopais. I also switched the factory HD with a samsung 840basic 500 GB SSD. My Macbook is a mid 2010 i5 and it's running quit f

Well after having this new MacBook for just a few hours..... damn this thing is fast!  It happens before you even think about it!  Can't wait to edit some video and experience warp speed! 

"I did watch a video claiming that Canon USM lenses work great but there wasn't any footage backing it up. :/

I took the plunge on a "remote" follow focus. The problems I encountered were:"

Canon lens are good enough for jazz!  The 70-200 f4 is probably the best lens in the world!  Sharper than the 2.8 and with less chromatic arbitration. 

I have little use for the follow focus in what I do.  So I'll just stick to the old fashion way.

Michael, you are missing out on the 100 degree heat we're enjoying here every day as the rainy season approaches ;) if you got your app directly from pluraleyes, just search for them in your mailboxes. I got mine free with the purchase of my Rode mic. PluralEyes has since been bought out by Red Giant, but that shouldn't affect anything. lynda.com has the most thorough and engaging tutorials for FCPX, but they're not free. Larry Jordan's training at YouTube is not as comprehensive: it doesn't cover many of the important functionalities included in FCP - but it IS free.

Michael, you are missing out on the 100 degree heat we're enjoying here every day as the rainy season approaches ;) if you got your app directly from pluraleyes, just search for them in your mailboxes. I got mine free with the purchase of my Rode mic. PluralEyes has since been bought out by Red Giant, but that shouldn't affect anything. lynda.com has the most thorough and engaging tutorials for FCPX, but they're not free. Larry Jordan's training at YouTube is not as comprehensive: it doesn't cover many of the important functionalities included in FCP - but it IS free.

I like the heat!  I got pretty used to it over there.  In Bangkok you just go from one air conditioned shopping mall to the next!  

I got pluraleyes way before Red Giant bought them out.  I know the license is somewhere on my old Com. but I can't find it.  I am a member of Lynda .com and have been skimming through the FCPX tutorials!  

FCPX, just finished downloading seconds ago!  I love the little sparkling stars in launchpad after each app has been installed!  

Sometimes in life obstacles like a bad graphics card can turn out to be a blessing!  I'm going to be up all night playing around with this thing!