GH4 4k mov file - how to get into Sony Vegas Platinum 13

PeterGregg

I have a working workflow that i don't want to change if i don't have to. I use Sony Vegas Platinum 13 and want to play with one of the new GH4 4K files in it. I ordered the GH4 so I want to work on th workflow to see it work. The output after I do the editing will be 1080.

Peter

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I tried to download any of Andrew's files but all I get is an empty Copy.com box. I downloaded a video from Vimeo that is a mov file. It will open in Priemier Pro but not Vegas 13 Platinum (probably the same as your Studio 12).

I have the GH4 coming, so I am trying to work out how to operate with the files in my computer. I don't think the GH4 does the Prores out of camera, but think it delivers mov files at 4K.

I guess the question is how did you grab the prores files, did you have any trouble? And also, you think I can get the output from the GH4 into Vegas 13 (not Pro)?

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

I found the answer for me. My computer is new and did not ever have Quicktime installed. Apparently Sony Vegas needs Quicktime to function the 4K files while Premire Pro CS6 does not. I installed the newest version of Quicktime on my Windows 8.1 computer and both Sony Vegas Platinum 13 and Sony Vegas Pro 13 now will run and edit the 4K files like normal.

The Sony Vegas Platinum does one extra step though, and it costs time. It will build a low res file to work off of, and it seems to be about the same amount of time it would take to do a full render to do it. Sony Vegas Pro did not do that.

Thanks to all of you who jumped in here to help. I appreciate the overwhelming efforts of so many people to lend a hand :) I hope the solution will help someone else who may have a similar problem.

Peter

I was under the impression from reading the instructions off the Panasonic website that the GH4 can output 4K in an MP4 or a MOV container,  so you shouldn't have to work with MOV at all if you don't want to.  Vegas should be able to decode MP4 natively.

• 1 year later...

You can disable the 4k/UHD proxy generation in VMS 13 - it's a tick box in Options -> Preferences -> Video tab.

4k .mp4 files from my LX100 work OK in VMS 13 (I don't have Quicktime installed, and proxies are disabled). Only problem I've had is that I needed to disable 'GPU accelerated video processing' otherwise it would crash when rendering from 4k media, but this might just be an issue with my Intel GPU/driver setup.