Canon APSC 18-55 IS ii kit lens- A very useful almost disposable lens for Sony FF E mount cameras.

noone

I sometimes forget I have this thing.

No photos now but i might take it with me and compare to a couple of other lenses later.

In short, this lens covers FF on my A7s from about 23/24mm and up.     It gets a tiny bit of vignetting in the extreme corners again close to 55mm but still ok I think.

Works fine in APSC all the way and is slightly wider on Sony than Canon

AF is very slow since the A7s is a CDAF only camera but I am amazed it works at all and IS works quite well (this is actually currently my ONLY stabilized lens on the A7s since I sold my Sony kit lens and a couple of APSC E mount stabilized lenses.

MF ease is nothing to right home about but ok.

Get a cheap adapter (the Fotga one I am using was one of the cheaper ones) and for very little money you get a lens that is maybe not the greatest but still acceptable image quality that can be used if you do not want to risk better lenses.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Some quick and dirty shots with three different Canon lenses adapted on my FF A7s.    The APSC kit lens and two (much older) Canon Ls, one FD and one EF.

Not for image quality, all taken as close as possible from the same place with the same view but were all hand held and two used the same adapter so I would go back in and change the lenses before going back out in the corridor.

I used a different adapter to the cheap Fotga I normally would use because it shows the focal length while zooming and the Fotga does not.

I do not use it normally because it plays up a LOT and needs dismounting and remounting several times before it works sometimes (it is used on my ancient MF 300 2.8 adaptall where it does not play up since it is a "dumb" lens).

A surprise, one of my Canon EF lenses is actually wider than the other two at 24mm so the shot here is 25mm 

There IS still vignetting with the APSC lens but not blackening.

All at f8 

Focusing errors are mine not the lens as all were manually focused.

I want to go out and take some proper photos with other lenses and I considered taking these three instead but it is such a nice day before three days of rain predicted here so this will do.

DSC07366.jpg

DSC07372.jpg

DSC07374.jpg

one of these beasties then. To be honest my kit lens doesn't get a lot of love. 9 time out of ten there is a m42 adapted to the canon or on the p4k. Although some years ago i did buy a katzeye microprism screen for the  canon kinda shows you i tend to like my mf  😀 I also find mf on the 18-55 a bit ordinary even a touch rough. the af works fine however. i just dont use it much.

kit-lens.jpg