Canon 24mm f/2.8 STM for Phots & video (lowlight especially)

Lindopski

Good Morning guys

I have just bought this lens (not arrived yet), after watching a few reviews on you tube etc.

I am still learning how to utilise my Canon 800D/T7i to its full potential as I have previously used full Auto.

I am slowly getting used to the various settings etc and I have managed to somehow take a few photographs in daylight that are ok and a few in the evening/night that have come out reasonable.

Nothing show winning but better than a blurred mess (mostly) 😀

I tend to take a lot of what I suppose are classed as street photography and I also find that a lot of my images are night time as I work all day and take the camera out when the sun goes down.

I also have been filming using a cheap GOpro copy called an Akaso EK7000 and to be fair to the little thing it has served me really well during the daylight hours, its quality is good, not superb but passable for sure.

Night however it is not that great and this led me to trying out the Video setting on my canon for the first time and thinking that its actually quite good. Again I am not really used to it yet, I have just tried 24/5 fps at 1/50 and try to keep the ISO low as possible.

I have been using my Tamron zoom lens 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 and that has been smashing but I watched a few videos online and this little Canon 24mm pancake lens sounded quite good. It will be far lighter for a start weight wise and also has f/2.8 so I believe will perform well in low light situations.

A few people seem to be using it for street images and film.

Do any of you guys use this lens and if so what do you think and also have you any tips for both Photography and Video using this lens. My one concern is a lack of an image stabiliser as lowlight handheld will be blurred and video will be shaky, so may need to take my lightweight tripod with me on walks (its always in the car anyway)

Any tips in general for lowlight photos and film also great as I am still getting used to things and no doubt doing a lot wrong.

I have attached a few of the type of photos I usually take.

night6.jpg

night5.jpg

night4.jpg

night3.jpg

night2.jpg

night1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

that definitely low light. Google low light photography   find some images you like and emulate them. If you have a tripod, i'd use it. I've heard it said that experience isn't something you get until just after you need it. take lots of photos, develop a style, maybe even stack a few images see how that goes if your doing a lot of evening photos. 

i dont have that lens, no idea how it performs  for photography or video . I guess all you can do is try it. Try it in every conceivable variation thats the only way to learn a lens and whether it can work for you or not. There's a multitude of lenses out there. Some lens have an almost cult like following,  others have yet to be tried and not everyone  makes a record of how it performs. 

as a video based forum a bunch of stills sometimes may not garner a lot of response.  

Magic lantern does amazing things for canons video abilities, not forgetting  photos either. Not sure if its available for the 800d however and its definitely got a learning curve. but with a canon i'd lean towards ml for video work.  By the way welcome to the forum.