I'd Really Like This Audio Gear

fuzzynormal

7 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Anyway, back to square one.  It seems there's literally no professional or semi-pro product that has a recorder built into the receiver?

Aside from the Zaxcom Nova (although it is more accurate to say it has receivers built into the recorder, than the other way round), then no

However I've had it confirmed that the Deity BP-TRX should technically be capable of this in theory, and I'm communicating with Deity at the moment in trying to convince them of the logic that it is worthwhile developing a firmware update with this new feature. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

BTW, a simple solution is to own a camera that has audio input and a headphone jack.  ie.: The GH5.  However, this still presents an issue in that you're only recording audio when you're recording video.  As a documentarian, I really would rather have audio recording non-stop...just to make sure I get all the audio, you know.  Still, the GH5 is a good half-measure.

I recently transitioned away from the GH5 to an Olympus EM10III with no audio recording options, so now I'm curious for the type of device mentioned above.  

Always something about hybrid gear not quite doing what you want it to, but I'm glad I'm shooting with a smaller camera.  That's my preference.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

However I've had it confirmed that the Deity BP-TRX should technically be capable of this in theory, and I'm communicating with Deity at the moment in trying to convince them of the logic that it is worthwhile developing a firmware update with this new feature. 

You can imagine that I think this is a fine idea; probably not alone in this either.  Good luck.

21 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

I recently transitioned away from the GH5 to an Olympus EM10III with no audio recording options, so now I'm curious for the type of device mentioned above.  

Was looking into the EM10III last week, as it is going for impressively cheap prices secondhand, and it has great IBIS & 4K. The lack of flip out selfie screen I suppose didn't have to be a deal breaker, with that hotshoe mirror I posted about. But the lack of mic input? Nope, once I realized that, it ruled out the EM10III completely :-/ 

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Was looking into the EM10III last week, as it is going for impressively cheap prices secondhand, and it has great IBIS & 4K. The lack of flip out selfie screen I suppose didn't have to be a deal breaker, with that hotshoe mirror I posted about. But the lack of mic input? Nope, once I realized that, it ruled out the EM10III completely 😕

Yeah, well, like I said, these days my preference to just keep rolling on audio non-stop, so the lack of headphone and audio input is not a deal breaker on cameras.  I'd like them to have it, but for now I'm changing how I'm doing things in general with filming.