Wooden Camera Unified Cage with Arca Swiss Clamp

mr_eight

A couple of my local camera shops are clearing out their Wooden Camera demo units and I want to pick one of these up. However, my issue is that I primarily work as a photographer and use the same body for video work.

My video work is in the early stages and I spend about 1-2 hours a week shooting, mainly documentation work on construction sites. 

I saw Gerald Undone talk about the small rig's QR cage,  and I like the quick release built into the cage body.  I haven't pursued SmallRig due to delivery from China and with covid,  I don;'t know how long it will take to get to me.

I'm throwing it out there to see if anyone has attempted to add an arca swiss clamp to the Wooden Camera Unified Body's base where normally the camera's bottom goes? Or if anyone know that is even possible? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Not familiar with the Wooden Camera cage, but most Arca-Swiss clamps have standard 1/4" or 3/8" female threads or have a counter-sunk hole.  So, if the cage has a way to attach cameras/plates with those threads/hole, then it should be easy to find an Arca-Swiss clamp that works

20 minutes ago, tupp said:

Not familiar with the Wooden Camera cage, but most Arca-Swiss clamps have standard 1/4" or 3/8" female threads or have a counter-sunk hole.  So, if the cage has a way to attach cameras/plates with those threads/hole, then it should be easy to find an Arca-Swiss clamp that works

@tupp thanks for dropping a reply. I appreciate it and confirms my thoughts as well. I might as well take the plunge and find out.  Makes sense to have a camera with an arca L-Bracket incase there is a need to shoot vertical videos. 

I haven't done that specifically, but the concept is sound.

The challenge in your situation would be ensuring that there's enough clearance for the QR plate (both female and male) and the camera to fit under the top part of the camera rig.

I've invested a bit into QR plates and mounts to make my equipment interchangeable depending on what I'm doing.   I have a tripod, monopod, Gorillapod 5K, Manfrotto Pocket and a Peak Design Capture, which are either designed to receive QR plates or I've added them.  Then I have my GH5 and Sony X3000 action camera with QR plates from Peak Design on them, so either camera works with any mount.

The QR plates from Peak Design are the best I've found as they're well made and are super-small and low profile.   I've even put a wrist strap on the one on my GH5 for when I'm hand-holding it (which is common for me) and the strap doesn't stop it being mounted in a QR mount.  

@kye 

Thanks for your feedback. I was looking at the height dimensions as well and might need to see how well a medium sized cage fares including in portrait orientation as well. 

I have heard about Peak Design having a very low profile but need to check it out in person now that I have your feedback. 

@tupp

see attached screenshot taken from Wooden Camera's instruction booklet, so it should be possible to mount a arca-swiss clamp :)

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 6.43.10 pm.png

13 minutes ago, mr_eight said:

Makes sense to have a camera with an arca L-Bracket incase there is a need to shoot vertical videos.

I think most L-Brackets take 1/4-20 threads on both sides, so you might not even need a separate mounting clamp -- Arca-Swiss or otherwise.

2 minutes ago, mr_eight said:

see attached screenshot taken from Wooden Camera's instruction booklet, so it should be possible to mount a arca-swiss clamp

Yep.

Again, you don't necessarily need a separate clamp -- you could just bolt an L-bracket directly to the cage.  Of course, using Arca-Swiss clamps or other quick-release system makes the changeovers faster (and adds height to the camera).

1 hour ago, tupp said:

Yep.

Again, you don't necessarily need a separate clamp -- you could just bolt an L-bracket directly to the cage.  Of course, using Arca-Swiss clamps or other quick-release system makes the changeovers faster (and adds height to the camera).

i like your thinking!!! didnt even consider directly screwing the L bracket to the cage

1 minute ago, photographer-at-large said:

you didn’t specify which camera you use, but here’s a cage for Sony:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1449314-REG/smallrig_2238_arca_qr_half_cage.html

Nikon Z7 for now but I might switch to Panasonic GH5 or Black Magic Cinema 4K later in the year if my video work picks up a little bit. Hence why I prefer Wooden Camera's unified cage.