Lens owning plans for 2020

noone

6 minutes ago, kye said:

The Promist filters are popular with the 18-35mm, for example, Chris has filmed a few recent videos with the 18-35 and Promist filters https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisFilmmaker/videos

or the other option is to process the images in post and decrease saturation and add halation or blur or whatever you want to.

Yep, tried all those things (using Hollywood Black Magic diffusion filters instead of Promist) and decreasing contrast in post, still don't like it. I think it's just not the right lens for my tastes, but I'll keep experimenting with it for a few more years.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
38 minutes ago, bjohn said:

Yep, tried all those things (using Hollywood Black Magic diffusion filters instead of Promist) and decreasing contrast in post, still don't like it. I think it's just not the right lens for my tastes, but I'll keep experimenting with it for a few more years.

Why not sell it now and move onto something that doesn't put you off?

Plenty more lenses, and if you don't care for contrast and sharpness then you'd be better off choosing something else at random, because the 18-35 is amongst the sharpest and most contrasty lenses on offer!

On 8/11/2020 at 7:22 PM, kye said:

Why not sell it now and move onto something that doesn't put you off?

Plenty more lenses, and if you don't care for contrast and sharpness then you'd be better off choosing something else at random, because the 18-35 is amongst the sharpest and most contrasty lenses on offer!

Because I've seen some footage from this lens that I like, but mainly because it's so versatile in terms of its low-light capabilities and useful zoom range. I'm not at all against sharpness and I'm not interested in emulating film; if I could afford it I'd probably be shooting with Zeiss Otus primes, which are very sharp but still have plenty of character. I think it takes time to get to know a lens and understand how to get the best out of it; I've only had the Sigma for a year.

1 hour ago, bjohn said:

Because I've seen some footage from this lens that I like

That makes sense.  I thought you were saying that you own a lens you dislike because it's all wrong but you were persevering with it regardless!

and yeah, if you're into Zeiss Otus primes, then high performance optics should be a plus not a negative 🙂