Sony A7R - full frame T0.95 with the SLR Magic HyperPrime (and special guest, Leica Noctilux 50mm F0.95)

Andrew Reid

Thanks for the article, I am a regular visitor to your site and appreciate the work you put in for the benefit of all!

One thing I don't agree with though is your statement: 'I would love to see the Otus on the Metabones Speed Booster which would turn it into a 35mm F1.0 but that requires a crop sensor.'

If one were to use a 55mm lens on an APC crop sensor one would land up with the equivalent full frame focal length of 55mm x 1.5 = 82.5mm, using a Metabones Speedbooster widens that view by 0.71 which would give us 58.575mm, not 35mm.

At least that's how I understand it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

There are some more reviews of the SLR Magic and Noctilux...

So, the big question is; is this the "better Noctilux". Yes, in some ways it is, since it offers an advantage of features (for example a much shorter minimum focus distance) and outperforms the Leica lens for example in terms of MTF values and vignetting. In other regards, however, the Leica Noctilux ASPH still holds the crown. It distorts less and offers similar MTF performance in a noticeably smaller and lighter package. Nonetheless, the Hyperprime certainly gives the Noctilux a run for the money.

http://www.photozone.de/leicam/861-slrmagic50t095?start=1

Key is the MTF chart...

mtf.png

mtf.png

Tested on the M9, the SLR Magic is indeed sharper, especially in the corners. But the Leica has less distortion.

http://www.photozone.de/leicam/860-noctilux50asph?start=1

Thanks for the link! I read both reviews and I am confused... Well, MFT charts are not the end-all for performance (only done at infinity focus) I think everybody who is more after a special look or 'character' (like most forum members) has an eye on color, contrast and flare...

So it is more interesting to watch a side by side (the only one available): 

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/gallery/image/889-nocti-slrmagic/

Make your own thoughts ...  It is probably a lot about taste... I don't know... I have just too much spare time.