JVC 4k Video Camera!

FilmMan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Actually, RED might have to watch out!
People seem to be dismissing JVC.  I'm not.  My view is JVC will have a superior product at a very good price point.  Downloaded some 1080p "compressed" footage.  Amazing.  Played around with it.  Can push it without breakdown. Very nice...I do have a Canon Mark 5D2 and I am amazed at the JVC detail.  Scarlet Detailed.  Canon better wake up very quickly in the "video" department. 

It is a small sensor.  1/2 chip.  I have an old Dv5000 1/2 chipper.  Very good video camera. Here's my opinion:
Visually the footage looks excellent.  Footage reminds me of [u][b]Scarlet and Red MX[/b][/u] and the C300.    Supposedly can be downed to 1080p from camera?  I think JVC could have a winner here especially if the price is $5k US.  That's my opinion.    I'm downloading some more and going to test.  Lot's of questions remain. 

PS:  JVC interchangeable 4k camera to have larger sensor. 

• Administrators
It has a place and will be good for some people. Resolution is very important and as you can see with the 5D Mark III lack of detail can destroy an image which has everything else right about it. However it is still only 1 part of the puzzle...

Interchangeable lenses and the large sensor influence the image just as much, and sadly this JVC has neither. It does seem to have excellent dynamic range, resolution and colour but the price is a bit of a misnomer because to see much difference over a very good 1080p camera like the Canon XF line, you will need to get a 4K display of some sort. And indeed find an audience with one! Who is watching 4K stuff on a native display right now? Very very few people. So to your audience, or at least the vast majority, a large sensor and interchangeable lenses would make more difference in cinematic feel.

With the JVC, I'm not interested in the actual 4k video footage.  I'm interested in the footage as it is put to 1080p.  1080p from the JVC looks to be excellent.  The detail is far superior than the 5D3.  It'll be interesting how the overall aesthetics will be as more footage is posted.  As everyone is aware, how the footage is shot is very important.  I've played with Red footage, Scarlet footage, C300, M2D/3D etc., and correcting the JVC compressed footage was pleasant.  I've played with 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, chipped cameras and have some understanding of the different beasts. I'm no expert but the JVC ranks.  The sensor size of the JVC will be a question.  The attached lens will be a question.  The low light capability will be a question.  And so on.  But the footage I've played with has me excited.  What the 4K JVC camera is telling the market is that Canon is holding back.

Nobody will buy this.  And I mean nobody.  Look closely.

You have a high resolution camcorder that would be perfect for landscape and architecture work - but a lens that can't shoot wide angle.  I watched all the sample clips and was waiting and waiting and waiting for a dramatic wide angle shot.

[b]Then I realized that the lens can't shoot wide angle.

Specs:  (35 mm conversion: 42.4-424 mm)

OUCH![/b]

I understand JVC's wanting to use a lens capable of maxing the tremendous detail of 4k - but unless you shoot ONLY standard to telephoto all the time, the camera is useless.  You can of course screw on an optional wide angle convertor but JVC has a warning that claims that the stacking of glass prevents 4k resolution - so you are back to a soft wide angle shot for $5,000.

Nothing cramps creative style and the ability to tell a cinematic story than having to start filming at 42mm - you can't shoot establishing shots or dramatic environmental shots.

Like JVC's other recent camcorders - it will be forgotten before the end of 2012.

Bummer.

Sara,  are you saying the first consumer 4K video camera will be a dud?  I uploaded some footage that I played with the colors.  Very easy to grade (was using downloaded compressed footage).    Interesting beast of a camera.  I think it will get a fair bit of attention.  It has caught my eye.  29.97 footage.
[url=http://vimeo.com/39293097]JVC4K[/url]

[quote author=FilmMan link=topic=472.msg3084#msg3084 date=1332878944]
Sara,  are you saying the first consumer 4K video camera will be a dud?
[url=http://vimeo.com/39293097]JVC4K[/url]
[/quote]

$5,000 isn't consumer pricing.  You won't find it at a Best Buy selling like crazy.  Consumer video products in the US that have mass appeal are usually priced under $2k.

Not saying it doesn't have FANTASTIC video quality (and your color correction is great!) but with a lens so limiting - there is no point.  You gotta agree that shooting nothing but mid to close up shots gets boring real quick.

Sony will likely (they are the king of sensors) have a 4K competitor at a lower price soon - hopefully one with a more useful lens and without having to use 4 memory cards at once.

CHeers!

The 5D3 with lens is almost $5K in price.  Longs look good with the JVC.  Also if an adapter exists and makes the image softer, that wouldn't be a bad thing.  The footage is incredibly sharp.  Played around with more footage with skintones etc.  Holds well.  The JVC isn't the end all as there are areas of concerns.  Hopefully Sony comes on the scene.  Canon could control the market if they would give a little more.

• Administrators
[quote author=eosjames link=topic=472.msg3156#msg3156 date=1332968727]
I think the imagery is amazing..... I know and realize the limitations. Hats off to JVC for at least starting something like this at under 5K.
[/quote]

They stitched together 4 1080p cameras. I don't want to be cruel, but it isn't going to be a solution that lasts for very long. Hats off to JVC for trying something different... But there is something wrong with them. Maybe not enough resources.

It is not the fault of the camera, but the motifs we see right now and the motifs in the next few generations' test- and democlips will all show uncinematic, lifeless surfaces. Why do all these 4k & 8k enthusiasts not clean their window panes instead? Lay a pillow before it? Or get themselves a 60" fish tank? There is nothing wrong with good resolution, but they don't seem to see the wood for the trees. Why does nobody show a bicycle thief and how he is being followed by the owner in a parkour-style chase? Not glossy enough for 4k?

The same is apparent with 1080 50/60p. Smoother, cleaner look? Sure. Good motion resolution? You bet. Why not 1000 fps to smooth the rest of life out of the video? Stop time (the motion looks more realistic, but very rarely moves something in those clips). Again, no one forces the high-framerate-fans to do this, it must be some kind of disease. Or nobody explained to them the difference between photo and video.
[img]http://assets.flavorwire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/lynch.jpg[/img]
(Cartoon by David Lynch)

For 4K, take each card individually and insert into the card reader one at a time.  JVC's included software will put the footage together.  This is what I was told.  Will this 4 card be problematic?  Maybe.  We'll see.  Camera does 1080p too?  Not sure if this 1080p is down sampled from the 4k footage in camera.  If that is the case then easier to use.  Lot's of questions. 

Color correcting was a big wow with the JVC compressed footage.  It seemed way too good to work with.  We'll see when the camera does comes out and I can get some uncompressed footage straight from the camera.  JVC makes one realize that Canon is holding back on "detail" and better quality footage in their 5D3.