Some Kind Sync Trouble When Mixing 2 Audio Tracks Together?

User

I'm having trouble synchronizing audio in PPro 13.1.0 (Mac).

The two audio tracks are from the camera (wireless mic) and a Sennheiser 416 into a Zoom H4N.

In the past, on an older version of PPro, I would lay both audio tracks down on a timeline, click 'Show Audio Time Units', and line up the waveforms up by eye until they blended perfectly and sounded great.
Now when I sync the two tracks by eye, they seem to blend in a way that makes them sound hollow... something is definitely wrong.

I have used PluralEyes several times years ago, but didn't really like it and prefer to do things by eye.

Does anyone know what is causing the audio to now sound hollow when the two tracks are synched? Is this some kind of phase cancelation thing? Something else?

*Edit

Actually, I was now able to sync two track together by zooming way into the waveform and lining the two tracks up.

But I just tried PluralEyes again and it could not handle things. And when I try PPro Synchronize feature it actually moved them out of the great sounding sync that I had done.

What is the best way to sync separate audio tracks???

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, User said:

I'm having trouble synchronizing audio in PPro 13.1.0 (Mac).

The two audio tracks are from the camera (wireless mic) and a Sennheiser 416 into a Zoom H4N.

In the past, on an older version of PPro, I would lay both audio tracks down on a timeline, click 'Show Audio Time Units', and line up the waveforms up by eye until they blended perfectly and sounded great.
Now when I sync the two tracks by eye, they seem to blend in a way that makes them sound hollow... something is definitely wrong.

I have used PluralEyes several times years ago, but didn't really like it and prefer to do things by eye.

Does anyone know what is causing the audio to now sound hollow when the two tracks are synched? Is this some kind of phase cancelation thing? Something else?

*Edit

Actually, I was now able to sync two track together by zooming way into the waveform and lining the two tracks up.

But I just tried PluralEyes again and it could not handle things. And when I try PPro Synchronize feature it actually moved them out of the great sounding sync that I had done.

What is the best way to sync separate audio tracks???

This isn't something I do much, but I know that if you get a hollow sound then it's likely to be phase cancellation.  Phase cancellation works based on the wave-length, and lower frequencies have a longer wavelength so tend to cancel easier / under more circumstances, which is why a hollow sound is a common side-effect.

I'd suggest that using the in-built features might be useful because either they will get it right and you're done, or if they get it wrong they might get it almost right, then you can zoom in and just fine-tune it by lining it up by eye.

Happy to hear from others if there's a better way though!

7 hours ago, kye said:

This isn't something I do much, but I know that if you get a hollow sound then it's likely to be phase cancellation.  Phase cancellation works based on the wave-length, and lower frequencies have a longer wavelength so tend to cancel easier / under more circumstances, which is why a hollow sound is a common side-effect.

I'd suggest that using the in-built features might be useful because either they will get it right and you're done, or if they get it wrong they might get it almost right, then you can zoom in and just fine-tune it by lining it up by eye.

Happy to hear from others if there's a better way though!

Thanks Kye... as always, I appreciate the response. The trick will be to get a reply to a question on audio (@IronFilm?) when there are so many exciting camera threads running ;) 

I did a little reading and it seams that PluralEyes can't handle clips that are very long. However, even though I did a test and tried to sync a short file to a longer one, neither PluralEyes or PPro's native Synchronize could handle the task. Something just doesn't line up... and I'm starting to think it's more than just the audio tracks ;)

"I'd suggest that using the in-built features might be useful because either they will get it right and you're done, or if they get it wrong they might get it almost right, then you can zoom in and just fine-tune it by lining it up by eye."

- Well said. Most of the 100s of files are already reasonably well synced, but it would be best to have a quick fix to get the the selects 100% in sync.

Anyone?