3D printing - Print your own mount?

JohnBarlow

I've been hearing about people using a 3D printer to print out a mount.

This sounds incredible, especially for lenses that use hard to find adapters even if they exist.

Does anyone know where they get the cad files for this purpose?

Sounds like a great solution for small runs for rare lenses.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've been away from RP for a few years now and things move on quickly, but from my experiences the issue with 3d printing is that the parts don't come out of the machine as finished, ready to use items,  They wouldnt be able to print to tight enough tolerances so you'll find yourself spending many many hours fettling and filing the mount into a finished part.  Though the printing process is cheap due to the influx of owner operators, the real skill is in the finishing of the parts.   Also I doubt the available printing media will be ideal for repeated mechanical coupling purposes.  we're still a long way off beating proper cnc machining of brass, let alone stainless parts.  

take calipers and a micrometer to the mount, draw it in solidworks and give the drawings to a machinist who will be able to write a cnc program on a 5 axis. 

This was pretty much the response. Brass and so on are best because they're hard-wearing, and they can't be printed at the moment. It's simply not the right kind of material. It was a nice idea though, and if we have adamantium printing in the future then, maybe! ;)