Recommended SD card for 44mbs patch

jguk

Hiya,

Can anyone recommend a reliable memory card for use with the 44mbs EOSHD hack patch.

I've been using the cards I have after trying the hack for the first time - Transcend SDHC Class 10 - and they keep stopping and locking up the camera in particularly detailed scenes.

What would you recommend?

Cheers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Ah just found the answer on the Ptool FAQ - here it is in case anyone else has the same question:
[b]
What memory card should I use?

SanDisk Extreme HD Video SDHC 30 MB/s, 16 GB
SanDisk Extreme HD Video SDHC 30 MB/s, 32 GB
SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC 95 MB/s, 64 GB
The above cards have proven to be reliable, consistent from card to card, and fast enough for even the most extreme high bit rate PTool settings. Other cards will work at lower bit rates, but they will hardly be worth your trouble to figure that out. Please just buy one of the above SanDisk cards. The 32 GB card, in particular, is a great value. Most PTool settings are designed for the above cards. discussion
The SanDisk Extreme HD video 30 MB/s cards are apparently being discontinued and replaced with “Extreme HD Video” or just “Extreme” 45 MB/s cards. Early indications are that the new cards are at least as good as the old cards in the GH2.
The 95 MB/sec 64 GB SDXC card allows spanning at the highest possible bit rates, whereas the HD Video cards do not. At somewhat lower bit rates, all of the SanDisk Extreme cards will span. discussion
64 GB SDXC cards are subject to an occasional “file limit exceeded” error. Please see the Known Issues section.
The SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB 95 MB/sec SHDC card is faster than the Extreme HD Video cards, but not as fast as the 64 GB 95 MB/s SDXC card.
Buy from a SanDisk Authorized Reseller. Fake memory cards are extremely common on eBay, and even on Amazon it's hard to be sure you're getting what's advertised.
SanDisk Extreme Pro 45 MB/sec cards are not recommended.[/b]

Surprised to hear you had problems with Transcend Class 10s - I use them all the time with hacked GH1 and GH2 cameras - in fact I shot a wedding on Saturday with them, no problems. My GH2 uses the 44MB patch.

I wonder if you have a bad batch of cards?

To answer my own question I bought 2x of the new Ultra 32gb class 6 cards rated at 30mb/s and initial testing with GH2 using EOSHD Vanilla 44mb/s hack has been fine. I've only tried some short (1-3min) low light clips using 12800 iso b/w mode, yet to test lengthy clips requiring spanning.

Should I try filming the "death charts" to test the card more thoroughly? A bit new to this.

To my understanding, the 32gb ultra 30mb cards are - 30mb read and 10mb+ write. So you have to be careful when you order. It's very misleading with the 30mb stamp on it. The fine print just says "write is somewhat slower"..

I returned mine to B&H. I haven't tested them though.

Bugger, I just tried 720p60 mode with the 44mbit Vanilla hack & it almost instantly locked up & displayed this error: "MOTION RECORDING WAS CANCELLED DUE TO THE LIMITATION OF THE WRITING SPEED OF THE CARD".

Camera then became unresponsive to all/any button presses, couldn't even switch it off, had to eject the battery.

So it looks like I must now beg & grovel for a refund. Purchased via a small Aussie based web store so I don't know if I'll have as much luck as if I got them from a brick & mortar.

Checked packaging and the front says "UP TO 30MB/s*" and the fine print: "* Up to 30MB/s transfer speed; write speed lower. Based on SanDisk internal testing: performance may be lower depending upon host device."

Yeah, really confusing. It fooled me too!! Im just glad I was able to return them. I ordered the extreme 30mb/s cards and they sent me the newer Extreme 45mb/s cards.

I hope these are good as the older discontinued 30mb/s Extremes. Anyone have any experience with the New 45mb/s Sandisk Extremes?

Big discussion here about the 45mb/s cards: [url=http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/90/sandisk-extreme-sdhc-cards/p5]http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/90/sandisk-extreme-sdhc-cards/p5[/url]

Seems to be at least 2 different versions of them marketed. Extreme Pro & Extreme HD Video, both 45mb/s rated. Some are using a UHS-1 mode to get the higher rating which the GH2 does not support (my basic understanding is that it's like a dual bus for 2x speed, so GH2 can only do half the rating), this also seems to be the case with my Ultra 30mb/s, UHS-1 mode whereas the older Ultra was 15mb/s. Confusing much?

OMG I am so fricking confused now.  The cards I ordered Extreme HD Video 30mb/s cards were no longer. The replacement cards are brand new type Extreme 45mb/s SDHC I. Everything on the box looks the same except it doesn't say HD Video on it anymore and says 45mb/s 300x R/W.

I went to Sandisks website and typed in the exact model number on the 45mb/s cards I received and it brought me to the page with the older 30mb/s Extreme HD Video page. The SKU numbers are exactly the same!!!  WTF!

Can a rocket scientist please explain to me if I got the right cards??  SDSDRX3-032G-A21

Thank you!

i have a 64GB 45MB/s card (SDSDX-064G-X46 ). after a couple of succesfull test i'm now getting the writing speed lock up seconds after starting recording. that's with the vanilla patch, HBR mode. now testing cinema mode. 14 minutes and still running...

not sure if this is a card or hack problem.

[b]dtr:[/b] any updates with the real world testing of your 45mb/s card? Everything I'm reading sounds pretty grim for this model.

[b]smon222:[/b] regarding your 45mb/s SDSDRX3-032G-A21 These serial numbers are pretty much useless when trying to differentiate the cards. According to SanDisk support: SDSRDX3, SDSDX3 and SDSDX all specify the Sandisk Extreme SDHC card, 032G is the capacity obviously, and the last A31/A21/X46 identify the different manufacturing sites. The same serial number is used even when the models are refreshed with different internals and different branding and ratings. The SanDisk website is full of mixed information and not updated properly.

My understanding is that the newer cards are rated higher if used on a device with UHS-1 bus which our GH2's do not have. If you divide the new ratings by 1/3 you get closer to their true capability on a non-UHS-1 device which coincidently match up to the old speed ratings. My guess, same chips, new ratings and stickers. Ignore all the Class 4/6/10 stuff for a moment and consider:

Extreme HD Video 30mb/s -> Extreme Pro 95mb/s
Ultra 15mb/s -> Extreme 45mb/s
Standard 10mb/s -> Ultra 30mb/s

So our two best options:

1. source old stock of the Extreme or Extreme HD Video Class 10 30mb/s as these seem to be proven cards which work with 44mb/s Vanilla.

2. pay big bucks for the new Extreme Pro Class 10 95mb/s cards, 64gb if you need high bitrate spanning or the 8/16/32gb ones if you're sticking to 44mb/s Vanilla.

Unfortunately, although there is pages and pages and pages of anecdotal reports on various forums, the information gets outdated so fast and SanDisk doesn't help matters with their crap naming scheme. So take this with a grain of salt and feel free to refute and correct my assertions.

cray, i did some testing with sanity4.1 and mpgxsvcd. i didn't get write errors. on some settings spanning wouldn't work. i didn't keep precise track of results, sorry.

i now reverted back to FW1.1 with just the ISO and recording time limits removed. that's because i have another issue with the high bit rate patches: file size... i'm using my gh2 to record my rehearsals and audiovisual performances. ease of use and manipulation (uploading to web etc) is more important to me than the very highest level of detail. my laptop chokes on the high bit rates and i don't have access to my studio desktop while on the road (which i am a lot).

i did do a card R/W speed test with FlashBench on windows. i got around 20MB/s sustained both R/W. that's with the 45MB/s card. i'm not sure how representative this test is though. i don't know the specs of the borrowed card reader i used and it was done on an aging computer. 

Cray - I have tested the 45mb/s Extremes a couple times with Cake 2.0 patch so far and there were no spanning problems. I let it record a moving scene the entire 32mb full. I use several unmanned cameras and need long record times( 1+ hrs at a time). That's why I'm desperate for good reliability. I have a ton of paying gigs coming up and I need to solve this soon. Cake on personal view looks to me to be the most stable/quality/reliability and I like there is a huge thread about it, so issues would have been reported by now. There is not much info about Vanilla that I can find so far. I'm going to run more tests before this weekend, I really need the cards to be stable for 2-2.5 times bit rate for spanning.

P.s. I've tried Vanilla before with Trancend  class 10 32mb and had spanning issues.

Btw I just wanted to mention. I did try to source the older 30mb/s extreme hd video, it showed them in stock at newegg. They sent the new Evtreme 45mb/s that are now in question. So you need to be careful ordering older stock if you can find any.

If someone does find the true stuff let me know!

I would like to share my problems with Sandisk cards so far.

With my SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB (rated 95 MB/s) I get constant write errors (and lockups) with ISO 1600 and higher as soon as I move the camera quickly or shoot a scene with lots of detail.
I use Vanilla's HBR mode (25p). In cinema mode (24p) things seem more stable. But I need 25p.

The same problems I have with a SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB 45 MB/s. There's even less tolerance tough.

I now have ordered two 32 GB Extreme Video Cards (30 MB/s write/read). If they don't work neither or if they send me the 45MB/s version I fear having to repatch the camera.

I really wonder how other peoble manage to use even higher bitrates on that camera without locking it up constantly.

Im not saying Vanilla has any issues, but the only memorable card issues were with it.  I have since started using Cake 2.0 and there is another called Sanity 4 I will be testing. I am looking for a patch that has the highest reliability for spanning for 1hr+ record times, with the best quality video over stock.