Standard Video Camera to Supplement 5D2, GH2?

AZVideo

I have had a 5D2 for a few years and recently bought a GH2 for cheap to try out. However, I am wondering about adding a lower cost standard video camera like a Canon VIXIA HF M500, HF M4x or Panasonic HDC-TM900K to my equipment for times when shallow depth of field are not needed, light levels are not too low and better stabilization, speed and a long zoom might be an advantage. I live the SW US near national parks like the Grand Canyon, Zion, Arches, etc. and huge sweeping vistas are everywhere. Would a true video camera be an advantage in these types of situations? Anyone have experience using different camera types together? How does the quality stack up if the light is not too low?

Thanks in advance for any input!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
The Panasonic TM700 or TM900 win on Resolution and having 1080/60P.
The Canon HFM40/41 win in terms of low light, color and cost.  You could splurge for a Canon HFG10 and I think any of these would make an excellent combo with your 5D2 and GH2.

I'd also add that the GH1 is really cheap and has EXCELLENT battery life.  I recommend using a hacked GH1 as a B cam.  You can get power zooms like the X lenses from Panny or the 12-50mm power zoom from Olympus.

[url=http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=7366&NewsAreaId=2]http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=7366&NewsAreaId=2[/url]

Comes out in june.  About $549 I believe.

Depends on how small and light you want to go - but having something that can fit in a pocket or pouch and has 10x with waterproofing is fun.  Still has a large (for its size) 1/3 inch CMOS chip inside.

Not sure if you have rivers or lakes nearby but shooing underwater video is nice to have - and since it is weatherproof and shock/drop proof you won't have to baby it when you are out in the wilderness.  The form factor is a bit different but they are not that difficult to get used to and sony stabilization works well.  Combined with a small tripod or flexpod / gorilla pod it can go anywhere.

PAVP's recommendation of a hacked GH1 is also a great idea.

I have a Panasonic SD-900 and an SD-800 which I use as B-cams in conjunction with my GH2 and GH1 cameras.

Being Panasonic they have a similar "look", which saves time in post - I also use a Canon 7D and the colour from that is totally different. As is the footage from a Sony camcorder - much cooler usually.

So I would go with the GH1, or if you want camcorder convenience/automation the Panny SD-900. Don't pay extra for the models with built in flash memory or hard drive - SD cards are so cheap the memory-card only model is by far the best value.

The SD-900 is preferable to the SD-800 as it has a cold shoe and mic socket, and headphone socket.