The future of camera screens - Holographic or Foldable OLED?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So a smartphone will be the first camera with a screen large enough to manually focus without AF assist features, but because of the sensor size the DoF won't be shallow enough to need it..  what a crazy upside-down world!!

I'm not really sure how this will impact ILC photography though - most cameras aren't that much larger than the size of the screen plus some buttons.  Unless we start making cameras that are like a foldable iPad mini with a lens mount on the back?  Ergonomics be damned!!

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Imagine the GH5 screen. Exactly the same when folded flat against the body, but a bit taller.

Except it unfolds and is now double the width, and OLED.

Ah, yes, now I'm starting to see a benefit... :) 

Of course, the vloggers wouldn't be pleased because it's not a selfie screen anymore!! 

I would love to see camera manufacturer fill up the ENTIRE screen area with pixel that show the picture or the menu! Even the new nikons have so much space lost with plastic or nothingness all around the "usable illuminated screen". I will never get it, and it's been for years.

Here's an idea that is already plausible: make the entire back a huge screen (think Samsung NX Galaxy), that is tilted out like the Sony a99mkII and a slew of differently textured buttons underneath (so you can distinguish them by touch) - when the screen is tucked in place, all controls are available with touchscreen controls. Massive battery drain, though.

I wouldn't want to give up the fully articulating screen in order to get a screen that folds. I also don't want to hear all the drama about wear and tear in the folded area of the screen compared to the rest of the screen.  

What I would like however are AR glasses that my camera can wirelessly tap into, so I can have a nice big 20-65" monitor floating in front of me when I want.