(Help?) Hilux 264 Anamorphic Prismatic Suggestions (New to anamorphics)

Reece B

Hello everyone! 

I'm relatively new to anamorphic projection lens and adapting them for video; and by relatively new -- I suppose entirely new. I bought a Hilux 264 anamorphic projector lens off Ebay and through all the research I've done could hardly find anything. Aside from it being a fixed focus lens @ 100ft and that they aren't very good for video purposes. 

Welp, already had bought it at that point! 

I figured before I bought it that since it was a fixed focus lens, I'd simply do a helicoid (bought a m65 to m65 17-31mm [I believe] helicoid off Ebay) at the back of the projection lens, and than the taking lens.

So it would go; Projection lens (Hilux 264) -> Helicoid -> taking lens (Jupiter 9) 

I guess I'd like to stress that I'm completely new to anamorphics, and picking this one as my first was probably not the easiest or (working choice) but I'm theorizing that doing something like mentioned above would work? There doesn't seem to be nearly enough information online about either helicoids, the Hilux, or anamorphics in general, and all the sources I DO search for seem to be very outdated with broken links.

I'm not sure if I'm trying to do something that is impossible and will just have a nice looking coffee table ordainment or if its an actually feasible project;  And wanted to ask the community on any thoughts or suggestions. None of the components have arrived yet so I haven't actually tried it out yet, but any suggestions or words of wisdom would be very much appreciated!

For information purposes, I downloaded the ebay listings photos and attached them.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I think I'll be sticking around here from now on ?

Reece

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

hello and welcome,

i'm new too, i was looking at a hilux 264  on ebay aswell for about  $125 australian. all i know is prisms are less popular as anamorphics not sure why. i think you can do anamorphics with a prism but it is the road less traveled i did find something but it was when i first started looking and i suspect it may have something to do with the look and a prism may give you a different look compared to a ''normal'' anamorphic lens. i  ended up buying two different brands of projection lens to play with neither where prisms. hopefully someone far more knowledgeable  will chime in with a suitable reply.

On 8/2/2018 at 6:33 AM, leslie said:

hello and welcome,

i'm new too, i was looking at a hilux 264  on ebay aswell for about  $125 australian. all i know is prisms are less popular as anamorphics not sure why. i think you can do anamorphics with a prism but it is the road less traveled i did find something but it was when i first started looking and i suspect it may have something to do with the look and a prism may give you a different look compared to a ''normal'' anamorphic lens. i  ended up buying two different brands of projection lens to play with neither where prisms. hopefully someone far more knowledgeable  will chime in with a suitable reply.

Hi Leslie! It definitely seems to give off a different look and aesthetic from my initial tests today. It seems like the focus is a major pain because of everything being soft if not at the correct distance. 

Planning on posting my initial photos and findings later tonight. Thanks for your input! :) 

I got the lens in the mail just last week and got out today to run some initial tests. Neither the Vidatlantic or Jupiter 9 85mm has arrived, so I took it out with my 5D Mark II and 70-200 f2.8 IS Mark 1 and did a few test shots. Up close it is rather crappy as I expected, so I decided to shoot some skyline shots! Here are a few shots de-squeezed in Photoshop. This isn't much of a scientific test, but more of a first impressions. I was shooting wide open nearly the entire time @ F2.8 . My first observations is that the pink/red coating inside the lens gives off a haze if theres reflections (which is interesting!) and seems to perform extremely well around the 80-90mm full frame mark (despite the obvious barrel in the frame) with the shot being reasonably sharp -- That doesn't seem to be the case for the Hilux nearing the more telephoto spectrum; As it seems to really suffer from soft focusing at that focal range. 

Will post some more scientific results soon! (all the photos excluding the one have minimal editing/ mainly just dialing back highlights) 

(The one of the blinds was a actually really surprising. I shot out of my bedroom window into the garden out front, and it seemed to snag focus on the blinds about 3 ft in front of me (WHAT!)

IMG_1996.thumb.png.e1d10c2a41070d27df4e338d64222ff9.png

(this is the only shot/variant that I put a slight bit more of editing into. You can see the sensor dust as this and the one below where the only photos shot with a more narrow aperture than 2.8; These where actually shot at F16 [Something I'd honestly never do typically for landscapes anyways]) 70mm shots^

IMG_1993.thumb.png.bc0557f0d56f2d8ddb3b641cdfec52a0.pngIMG_1976.thumb.png.5e27caf70afc526f007ed636273d6bba.pngIMG_1962.thumb.png.4d99b6d3991abe915caf71d037c67f0e.png

At 200mm it seemed to really fall apart 

IMG_1950.thumb.png.dd078d6d1c3e8aee06743884dad3460d.pngIMG_1934.thumb.png.78ebf8efd8701decfacbb45963bfe97a.pngIMG_1927.thumb.png.fd07e64c3227754309bb1265094b53d2.png183966984_Layer0.thumb.png.2fdfed5947f02ace13281235acd0d462.png

^ This one really shocked me. This was shot maybe 3 ft from the lens and for some reason I nailed focus perfectly? Kind of interested why this seemed to happen.

-The tests will continue. 

its good to see that your experimenting. looks like i need to buy a 85mm for the next step with my anamorphic projection lenses. i kinda expected that and a clamp ,  as about a month ago i bought a lectus amamorphic lens for the gopro i have its been on back order since then and i have been working away from home as well so it was nice to get an email saying it had finally shipped i also has a card from the post office saying i had an item to be picked up, i hope its the same thing lol , i will find out first thing monday morning i will have to take some pics shortly i'd like to know how do you find the jupiter  when it turns up as i'm tossing up between it or a pentax 85mm in m42  as i already have 5 m42 lenses for my canon 60d

i'm chatting to redstan on ebay about a suitable  back clamp for the isco i have i shall post some photos later i hope, got a 15 mm rail support system halfway setup as well i'm leaning towards a pentax 85mm 1.8 or 1.9  more research to do but damn their expensive for vintage camera lenses