Pana-Leica 12-60 f2.8/3.5 Question

Yannick Willox

On 2/7/2018 at 8:39 PM, webrunner5 said:

But you can NOT handhold a B4 lens. Tripod, and a Damn good one at that, only. But you can buy what used to be a $10,000.00 lens or more, for around 75 bucks or more on eBay, Adorama, etc. But for that money most, well all, will have the zoom servo Not working unless you are lucky as hell. The motors in them just flat wear out over time. I am a bigger fan of Fujinon lens than any of the rest. But none of them is junk trust me.

The $75 B4 lenses however would be SD quality, not HD lenses

On 2/7/2018 at 9:28 PM, Yannick Willox said:

I just thought the BM 4K seems like a dead path (SD cards remaining quite expensive, and the thing eats them), while the 12-60 seems like a lens I will use the next 5 years.

SD cards are super crazy cheap now in 2018:

Microcenter in the USA is having a sale on 128GB SanDisk SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-1 U3 Class10 for only $35

http://www.microcenter.com/product/482383/SanDisk_Extreme_Pro_SDXC_UHS-1_128GB

Man I remember spending a small fortune on Extreme Pro 64GB cards for my BMPCC, so dirt cheap now for you lucky Americans!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That same card is 99 euro here in Belgium (from 129 last week) but is way too slow for 4K prores. You still need a 128GB 300MB/s card (279 euro !) for that, giving only 41 minutes of prores LT (29 min Prores 422). How much is that for a 2h classical concert ?

I understand why prices of the video assist 4K go down all the time... It would be an interesting option to break the 30min GX80 limit, but I would need to record in prores proxy !

On 2/7/2018 at 9:43 PM, Orangenz said:

Sounds like you could use Plural Eyes for that part.

Or Tentacle Syncs, seeing as they're so dirt cheap now (or even cheaper secondhand the older model):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1372226-REG/tentacle_sync_te2_sync_e_standard_set.html

Or my personal favorite, Ultrasync ONE:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1336977-REG/timecode_systems_tcb_ultrasyncone_ultrasync_one_timecode_sync.html

On 2/7/2018 at 9:28 PM, Yannick Willox said:

I am using this mainly for concert or classical music recording (live or entire 5-20 min takes). I do not want to stop recording to refocus, as that results in too many clips to  resync with my audio recording (which is what I do professionally, the audio part).

Which recorder do you use? (with what mics?)

14 minutes ago, Yannick Willox said:

That same card is 99 euro here in Belgium (from 129 last week) but is way too slow for 4K prores. You still need a 128GB 300MB/s card (279 euro !) for that, giving only 41 minutes of prores LT (29 min Prores 422). How much is that for a 2h classical concert ?

Ah true, I forgot for a moment my BMPCC needs the "cheaper" Extreme Pro cards (back in the day they were the most expensive version!!). 

Well, a secondhand Atomos Shogun is very cheap now, get that and load it up with cheap and huge SSD drives :-D

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Or Tentacle Syncs, seeing as they're so dirt cheap now.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1372226-REG/tentacle_sync_te2_sync_e_standard_set.html

Which recorder do you use? (with what mics?)

Do those sync jobs really sync properly ? To within half a frame ? Even when you have pieces with the form ABACACADA ? The music can be scary identical ...

I have had mixed succes with the Premiere Pro function, it is hit&miss, most of the time much quicker by hand.

My recorder is a compact home-built Win7-Win10 PC, with a SSL Soundscape Mixpander MX (dual MADI) DSP card, either to the Soundscape soft or Pyramix V9. For cheaper live gigs I use the Zoom F8. Mics are mainly Sennheiser MKH30-40-800twins and Royer SF1/12 ribbon mics. And then some highend mic preamps/AD converters (24ch)

1 hour ago, Yannick Willox said:

Do those sync jobs really sync properly ?

They'll hold time accurately down to the frame all day long from start to finish! Very very accurate, that is the entire point of time code boxes.

1 hour ago, Yannick Willox said:

live gigs I use the Zoom F8

Your recorder is TC capable, you should for sure get some time code boxes!

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

I’m not seeing any dirt cheap Shoguns anywhere

Sub $1K feels very cheap to me?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=3000&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=atomos+shogun&_sop=15

Even sub $700!

So, the delivery guy came by an hour ago. Just in time for my concert shoot tomorrow.

Quick test: it is only slightly sharper than my 14-50 4/3 Leica lens, but I will surely keep that one for MF, whenever I get a second body. I don't need crazy sharp anyway, and the old ones colors are slightly warmer.

12mm seems quite a bit wider than 14mm, also I need to put the 12-60 on +- 45mm to get the same field of view as 50mm on the 14-50mm ! The slight light falloff when zooming does not bother me at all. (if staring on f2.8)

Interestingly, on my gx80, the autofocus works brilliantly. On C-AF, I need to half press to refocus during record, or I can select continuous AF in the menu, and then it just focuses on anything I point to. If the GH5 is better, I don't see what all the fuss is about ?

Small test in my studio: while zooming in I cannot hear focussing sound. Maybe the slight adjustments that are made electronically cannot be heard. Anyway, halfpressing to force refocussing during zooming does not work. The focus happens when you stop moving the zoom ring. That would seem to indicate that the "parfocalness" of this lens is electronics.

Anyway, it works in MF as I hoped !

Did I mention 250g less ?