Beginner – Anamorphic Shooting

EricStephan

Hi everyone,

for several weeks now I am tending to buy an anamorphot. As there are quite a few differences between all of them I am bit overwhelmed by them. 
I am shooting in ASP-C. For the taking lens I either have the SIGMA 30mm 1.4 or the Helios 44-2 58mm. 

So have you got any recommendations for beginners like me? I've seen the Hypergonar HiFi 2 on eBay which is quite cheap but more than heavy. And it requires double focusing - which would not be a problem for me - by now. As I am not interested in shooting on a tripod I'm looking more for a lighter one. I want to use it on my steadicam or handheld. 

Should I give the Hypergonar a try as my first anamorphot? Anyone got experience with it? Haven't seen any suitable clamp for it.. probably as it's just to heavy or?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/16/2018 at 1:45 PM, EricStephan said:

Hi everyone,

for several weeks now I am tending to buy an anamorphot. As there are quite a few differences between all of them I am bit overwhelmed by them. 
I am shooting in ASP-C. For the taking lens I either have the SIGMA 30mm 1.4 or the Helios 44-2 58mm. 

So have you got any recommendations for beginners like me? I've seen the Hypergonar HiFi 2 on eBay which is quite cheap but more than heavy. And it requires double focusing - which would not be a problem for me - by now. As I am not interested in shooting on a tripod I'm looking more for a lighter one. I want to use it on my steadicam or handheld. 

Should I give the Hypergonar a try as my first anamorphot? Anyone got experience with it? Haven't seen any suitable clamp for it.. probably as it's just to heavy or?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Hi, Eric. I’ve been bitten by the bug too, and for the past several weeks have been guided so we’ll by this forum and the YouTube channels like Tito’s. Like the photography boom that happened when DigitalRev and TCS got big, the same thing seems to be happening with anamorphic. The people here are definitely helpful and knowledgeable. For me, I wanted to get in with the easiest possible setup, even though I trend towards overspending on things beyond  my skill level.  So I purchased a SLR Magice, too.   Anamorphot 40 Compact. Stuck it on my A7Rii with a Sony 28mm 2.0 and I’m up and running. I had to shoot either in APS-C mode or just clear focus zoom to deal with the vignetting.  My SmallHD focus desueezes the footagI’ll cut my teeth and learn with this setup and then I’ll follow you with double focus systems with maybe a single focus solution when I save the money for that. 

Looking forward to see what direction you go and where it takes you  

RJ