hardware for fluid premiere playback

Daniel Galli

Hi, i want to know what hardware handling preview in timeline on premiere.

i work with large h265 nx500 files on 720p at 120fps, with 10 to 18 video tracks simultaneous and i want to get the best fluid playback possible.

i currently got a fx8320, 8gb ddr3 1333mhz ram, and a gtx650 
and i want to upgrade the cpu or the gpu, i got on mind get a gtx660ti or a gtx690
or change to ryzen 7.

what would recommend you? i can only  upgrade 1 piece of hardware on a long time. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, pablogrollan said:

The extra CPU cores help, but also look into a more current GPU, such as a GTX 1070 or 1080. Even a GTX1060 6GB as an affordable alternative to the 660ti 

but what are the bennefit of get a current gpu? memory, clocks night? i dont really know what specs of gpu adobe use, only cuda cores and vram

Cuda cores, raw processing power and RAM. Pascal GPUs are the standard right now, and for many good reasons (less power consumption= less heat = more durability = less money for cooling options = less noise etc).

You also need a more recent CPU that does H265 decoding internally. I would say a 6700 or a 7700(better) with a 1060 GPU (value for money right now, no need for anything less).

I do not know about AMD cpus.

For financial reasons I went for 6700 and 1060 recently (for an editing laptop). For 600€ more I would have gone for 7700 and 1070 gpu (that is the combo that I consider as best value for money/perforMande right now), but as I upgrade/renew a lot of my equipment and office space, those extra hundreds were needed elsewhere.