Iscorama 1968 tight focus

Rob Bannister

bernie can give you great informed view once he has the lens.

once he has it give him a call explain what you would like doing.

he worked for years in samuelsons uk one of the biggest movie camera rental companies in the world.

he can be very fast even when he is slow it is not slow compared to all the other clowns doing this.

put a note in with the lens and explain clearly what you need doing then call him later he can advise what is a good idea or bad.

just talk it out so everyone is happy.

as i said before i recently gave him 2 boxes of loose optics and metal that he rebuilt in less than 2 weeks i complained that it was to quick : ) 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

bernie and julie i think are good. i just got my iscorama done by them. the focus isnt that much looser on mine unfortunately. whats a little weird to me though was that i had loosened the front ring from this forum but didnt dare take it apart any more...so i sent it to bernie. i said it needed to be relubed for tight focus. he said he couldnt get into the lens and could only do it from the rear and had to rotate the lube in. then i mentioned to julie that i had gotten the front ring off before and they gave me a new quote and said bernie was able to get inside. not sure why he didnt know about it from the first place to take the front ring off unless hes only lubed them from the back or maybe after i said that he tried again.

i guess with how old mine is you can only relube it so much. it still feels like tight focus. it seems like the age of the plastic determines how well it can be relubed? i think the tight focus on mine is permanent no matter who does the regreasing. does anyone know if this is true?

• 3 months later...

Just seen this topic.

re. stopper...  its literally a nightmare to do this.  i wouldnt suggest you attempt it yourself.  I did Robs and since have not mustered the courage to fit a stopper to my own iscorama36.  hours and hours of fettling of the inside of the plastic housing.  lots of opportunities to mess up.  I would suggest instead creating an external pair of rings with a pin on one and a stopper on the other which hit eachother at the point where you want the 'stop' to be.

Hey, Thanks for tip!

Yes, I've shot a short with it since doing the close focus mod and honestly have gotten very used to knowing how far I can crank it before it screws off. I just cant let anyone else operate it now :)

yes this is a bit of a pain I know.  never go past 1 full turn and you're ok:)  I will do my own iscorama one day, but its a job and a half.  I've been looking at the van diemen rehousing recently and cannot justify the price and weight gain, so am likely to be machining a DSO rehousing which maintains the protrusion of the rear optic to allow deeper seating of the optic into lenses with deep bevels, gives focus gearing, and adds less weight than the van diemen bodywork.   I imagine if i do, it will be something that can be bought as 3 individual parts and fitted by the user.   

I've been looking at the van diemen rehousing recently and cannot justify the price and weight gain, so am likely to be machining a DSO rehousing which maintains the protrusion of the rear optic to allow deeper seating of the optic into lenses with deep bevels, gives focus gearing, and adds less weight than the van diemen bodywork.   I imagine if i do, it will be something that can be bought as 3 individual parts and fitted by the user.   

Music to my ears mate. I want to re-house, but the cost is too high and am also concerned about the additional vignette, weight. The massive weight gain makes it much more likely to break if it falls, which defeats much of the purpose of re-housing.

If you can make a re-housing as described I would buy it in heartbeat! Buying the parts with assembly by user would be amazing as it would remove the need to ship a precious lens half way round the world.

I imagine it's a big job though and probably not a huge market for considering how few isco owners there are. Anyway, keep me posted if you do venture into it!

• 1 month later...

Music to my ears mate. I want to re-house, but the cost is too high and am also concerned about the additional vignette, weight. The massive weight gain makes it much more likely to break if it falls, which defeats much of the purpose of re-housing.

If you can make a re-housing as described I would buy it in heartbeat! Buying the parts with assembly by user would be amazing as it would remove the need to ship a precious lens half way round the world.

I imagine it's a big job though and probably not a huge market for considering how few isco owners there are. Anyway, keep me posted if you do venture into it!

Any news?