Doubling telephoto effect 35mm to MFT.

BLACKOUT

Do you loose any clarity of your footage if you use 35mm lens to MFT for the doubling of the telephoto effect as I would like to get to 600mm to 800mm (35mm equivalent) for some surfing footage.(using 100 / 400 35mm zoom using dumb adapter).

Trying to come to a rational understanding if "sweet spot will still deliver a well defined footage in MFT body with the usual crop for a GH4 in 4K delivery.

Many reports of wide and normal conversions with dumb adapters,not that much when you start going very long.

Sorry to double up but did accidentally post in anamorphic topic.....sssssorry

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
59 minutes ago, BLACKOUT said:

Do you loose any clarity of your footage if you use 35mm lens to MFT for the doubling of the telephoto effect as I would like to get to 600mm to 800mm (35mm equivalent) for some surfing footage.(using 100 / 400 35mm zoom using dumb adapter).

Trying to come to a rational understanding if "sweet spot will still deliver a well defined footage in MFT body with the usual crop for a GH4 in 4K delivery.

Many reports of wide and normal conversions with dumb adapters,not that much when you start going very long.

Sorry to double up but did accidentally post in anamorphic topic.....sssssorry

Give me 15 mins and I'll do a couple of frames for you.

• Super Members

OK.

This is a Nikon 200-400mm f4 on a Nikon D800 and a Panasonic G7 via a dumb adapter.

Not exactly inspiring content but its too hot to venture out beyond my balcony at the moment !

The top right frame is the D800 at 400mm f4, the bottom left is the G7 at 400mm f4 and for comparison the bottom right is the D800 frame cropped to the same FOV as the G7 is giving.

So the answer in terms of absolute quality I suppose depends on the lens but, comparatively speaking, this should be a good yardstick to show you whats possible. The cropped D800 is still a fraction better but we are comparing two radically different cameras here (let alone price difference) so I wouldn't let that put you off and certainly not in terms of resolution for video.

For what its worth, I have actually experimented with an M43 camera (an Olympus OMD10)on a long lens during a cricket test match. For the uninitiated, a cricket test match lasts for 5 days so leaves plenty of time for experimentation to relieve the long periods of tedium covering it ;)   In actual fact, I had it on the Sigma 300-800 so it was capable of a ludicrous amount of reach and the images were competitive but the lag was too much to deal with but with something like a GH5 I might be tempted to give it a go but it'll be manual focus only for me as my long stuff is Nikon.

Anyway, what I would recommend is to put it on a decent tripod (as opposed to this junk I've just had it on for this quick test) with decent adjustment as it will be completely unbalanced having such a tiny camera hanging off the end. 

400MFT.jpeg

32 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

OK.

This is a Nikon 200-400mm f4 on a Nikon D800 and a Panasonic G7 via a dumb adapter.

Not exactly inspiring content but its too hot to venture out beyond my balcony at the moment !

The top right frame is the D800 at 400mm f4, the bottom left is the G7 at 400mm f4 and for comparison the bottom right is the D800 frame cropped to the same FOV as the G7 is giving.

So the answer in terms of absolute quality I suppose depends on the lens but, comparatively speaking, this should be a good yardstick to show you whats possible. The cropped D800 is still a fraction better but we are comparing two radically different cameras here (let alone price difference) so I wouldn't let that put you off and certainly not in terms of resolution for video.

For what its worth, I have actually experimented with an M43 camera (an Olympus OMD10)on a long lens during a cricket test match. For the uninitiated, a cricket test match lasts for 5 days so leaves plenty of time for experimentation to relieve the long periods of tedium covering it ;)   In actual fact, I had it on the Sigma 300-800 so it was capable of a ludicrous amount of reach and the images were competitive but the lag was too much to deal with but with something like a GH5 I might be tempted to give it a go but it'll be manual focus only for me as my long stuff is Nikon.

Anyway, what I would recommend is to put it on a decent tripod (as opposed to this junk I've just had it on for this quick test) with decent adjustment as it will be completely unbalanced having such a tiny camera hanging off the end. 

400MFT.jpeg

I really thank you for your generous effort to show me and a lot of others the very miniscule differences,  as far as moving pictures goes it looks like no bad penalty to pay.

Yep 5 days of test cricket in the heat you probably want to try a few different things.......

Ive got a set of Manfrotto 058 TRIAUT legs to put it on so should be fairly stable.

Once again thank you, thank you..........................:glasses: