4K SLOW MOTION HACK? Samsung NX1

Lotfi Kaz

Probably it's too late now, but it would really be nice to have 50fps on 4k or even 1440P, I'd put $100 for this alone if I could, the Camera is perfect it's just the 1080P isnt clean as 4K downsampled. C'mon Hackers, we need you :D you are our Heros!! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am definitely not the best person to talk about this let alone try and get this working but from what I understand and remember from the height of the NX hacking days about a year ago. There is a separate part(either hardware or software not sure) that acts sort of like a black box and restricts this from happening. This black box is next to impossible to reprogram without doing some really significant reverse engineering. I probably got this completely wrong but this if what I remember.

Not sure if you have seen the Github page or not but if you look there you will likely find more information that will explain it properly.

https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding

Luckily I do have a solution to get 4k 60fps... figure out how much your time it worth say $20/hour then every day spend a few hours trying to figure out how to hack the NX1 to get 4k 60fps and for every hour to spend working on it put $20 into a jar... Then after about 100 hours take the jar to your local camera store and buy a GH5 voila 4k 60fps. lol Im just playing of course, the better solution is to just spend that time with the samsung camera you already have and enjoy it for the terrific camera it is ;)

• 1 month later...

Let me propose this thought in the meantime. Was there ever a time in which 120fps @ 1080 was suitable or widely accepted by an average audience?

I think it's important to remember in the face of ever evolving technology that "good enough" doesn't simply go away just because "better" comes along. I'm as guilty as the rest of you for wanting, possibly even lusting over the latest and greatest camera tech. And certainly when you hit the professional circuit many operators and even some clients will judge you solely based off the equipment you associate yourself with. But I have to remind myself that a great many times my 2014 camera (NX1) has helped me achieve great success and continues to do so in 2017, and this will only stop when the camera becomes physically nonoperational. 

The point is, creativity isn't beholden to the current state of technology. Creativity exists on it's own. The technology can help express that as a tool but technology is not creativity itself and can achieve nothing on it's own.

Like many of you, I want all the power and features of Arri and RED products, but under $2,000. No one WANTS to pay $50k for just a camera body. They pay that price because there is no alternative. We are incrementally getting close to this ultimate goal, and I would argue had Samsung stayed in the digital camera market that would have raised the bar for competitors. 4k/60fps would have already been the current standard by every manufacturer. But we're not quite there yet and without companies like Samsung raising the bar, ("like" meaning huge R&D departments) we will continue to see incremental movement in this area from the likes of Panasonic, Sony, Olympus, Fuji, Canon, Nikon, etc., etc. Consequently it also happens to be a marketing tactic. But should that prohibit any of us from expressing our creativity and ingenuity in the meantime? Hell no! We already have exceptional quality today. Think back just 10 years ago with tape based camcorders?

Let the haters hate. You and I have pretty images to create. :glasses: