Modified Anamorphic 58mm Lens

Ignotus

Hey everyone!

After a lot of messing around we have come up with a modded anamorphic version of a Helios prime lens. The lens is modded with a custom machined aperture ring making it mimic "Real" anamorphic lens as close to it as possible. The lens doesn't create anamorphic flares by itself therefore a flare filter was created for it.

Check out the video below which is a non artistic test of the lens. The footage is uncorrected. 

Would like to know what you guys think? Comments and constructive criticism appreciated.

Thanks.

http://vimeo.com/62501200

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey Ignotus,

I've made one of these myself, guided by Amir - the guy who posted the original video on vimeo - and it's quite simple, isn't it? I tried multiple combinations of flare filter, but none worked as I wanted, so, I'm sticking with a Century in front of it. hahaha. The hardest part, actually is to place the oval in the correct orientation, as misplacing it produces a rotated bokeh (somewhat like the Cinemorph filter, when not aligned properly)

The biggest problem I see when using a line, or similar, in front of the lens is that the main flare is, indeed, horizontal, but it's quite easy to see it as a faded column of glow around the frame, the same width as the thin (central) part of it. I considered picking up a real flare filter, but they're out of my current $ range. :(

Also, there are other lenses that can be modified in the same, easy, way, at various focal lengths. I've got a 29mm, and I'm still on the hunt for a 135.

Andy, buy a cheap helios and do it yourself! I can give you some tips on the process. :D

nice job on this.  we tried for a streak along with ovals on the oval ff58 but didn't feel the results were worth it.  we are gonna introduce an affordable streak filter specifically for use by owners of the ff58 oval aperture version.    

Well, I didn't have much o a problem disassembling mine - I opened up the front, instead of the normal - rear - way.

Just unscrew the thing with the lens name (in my case, the 44-m-4), any pointy thing will fit into those holes, and then twist it off like a filter.

Below it, there is the main optical block. The best part about it is that it comes off in one piece. No messing with the glass. It just screws off as well (here is where I think Rich has the advantage, modifying the whole thing). Anyway, behind it, you can reach the aperture blades. I used a acrylic disc with a f/4 (aproximate) oval, lasercut. Tested the f/2.8 as well, but DOF is too shallow.

As the disc isn't exactly as thin as it needs, you may want to make it thinner with sandpaper. From 3mm, mine got to 1mm. Then, rescrew the optical part, and test it on camera - to check if properly aligned. If yes, great, close it all up, putting in the front ring. Otherwise, keep doing it until perfect (took me a few attempts).

Richard, I'm very curious about this filter. I tried many different line thicknesses (does this word exist?) and none convinced me. Cinemorph either. :(