New Sony NEX video camera before NAB in April?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/sony-fs100.jpg[/img]

A rumour surfaced today (which was given the 2nd highest rating of plausibility by [url="http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-nex-f3-and-new-nex-camcorder-coming-soon/"]Sony Alpha Rumors[/url]) that Sony have a new NEX video product to come before NAB.

Sony have confirmed they are strengthening the NEX range more than intended this year on the back of very strong sales.

So as well as new lenses on the roadmap will we see a new video camera?

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7025/new-sony-nex-video-camera-before-nab-in-april/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
"Just H.264 at 50Mbit 4-2-2 (no AVCHD standards crap thanks! And I don’t care about 10bit, LOG, external HDMI recording, etc.)"

And if is AVCHD then give me a clean uncompressed HDMI output.

My wishlist:
Proper audio options, XLR inputs, manual audio adjustment with no AGC, headphone for monitoring.
Dual mount system A-mount and E-mount (i don´t know if this is possible but supplicate is free)
Buttons, buttons!! for Christ sake (VG20 touch screen is a disaster)
No weird form factor.
Oled viewfinder

Resuming, something like the Canon XA10 but using Nex5n sensor.

Well they really must have 10 bit uncompressed out, ND filters, Dual recording at a minimum of 35mbits, Picture profiles to include an s log style setting and a crop mode all for around £5000. Cmon this should be easy now.

Why? Because if they want to stay future proofed against the HDSLR's for at least a year they will need to. The cats out of the bag now so nothing to protect apart from losing future sales. I think many indie film makers have had enough of cameras like the Canon C300 and the F3 where they charge as much as they can get away with Usually more than a new car for providing a large sensor without the expense of supplying a decent lens.

If they don't FINE they will lose out to the HDSLR's.

Bring it on so many of us used to disapointment now were almost expecting it to be crippled. 

I hope Sony isn't myopic enough to trot out another maximally 1080p camcorder. I think QuadHD "4K" capable at 10 to 12 bits and 4:2:2 would be good (heck, the FS100 supposedly can do 4:4:4, but only at 8 bits). I don't care about the form factor so much, as long as it can be kitted out for whatever configuration you need. With technology developing as quickly as it is, I think a sub-$4K price is reasonable. And I am interested in log profiles, since they tend to improve dynamic range (which, at this point should minimally be in the 12- to 14-stop range).

I am amazed that sony wont do one thing: allow the hx9v to have manual lockable exposure, white balance, and focus. That would be a powerhouse. The lens could use an update to something a little more low light friendly, and with a constant zoom, but how hard can that be? It wouldnt replace anything, just be an incredible b cam for millions of people who already own other more pro cameras.

I'd like to see them take a mulligan on the VG20 and do it right this time while adding XLRs or at least the option to add XLRs, which is not an unreasonable feature to expect on a $2k camcorder. Of course they're not going to do that, but I'm not so sure they can come up with a feature set that would justify another $1k in price without exceeding the specs of the FS100. Would be nice to see them get innovative with things like an electronic follow focus and selectable in-body stabilisation though. I think there would be a pretty good market for a more run-and-gun friendly large sensor camcorder.

Hey Andrew, how are you going with your NEX-7 review? Pretty keen to see that.

• Administrators
NEX 7 review coming very soon, it is taking a bit longer to cover absolutely everything on this one. But will be worth the wait.

Also I am working on the 5D Mark II anti-moire filter review as well as Samyang 24mm F1.4 so busy time here at EOSHD HQ behind the scenes!!