Jump to content

Crop Factor Question


Charlie

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I am well aware that full frame is a stills standard, not a cinema. I have hear people say that APS-C is the closest to super-35 cinema.

I was watching a video about famous directors lens choices and how many stick with maybe two lenses, sometimes just one for an entire shoot.

Lets say a director like Fincher likes 27mm (on The Game he used 27mm & 75mm).

If you wanted to match approximately the same "look", would 27mm on APS-C be the way to go????

Thanks!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Hi all,

I am well aware that full frame is a stills standard, not a cinema. I have hear people say that APS-C is the closest to super-35 cinema.

I was watching a video about famous directors lens choices and how many stick with maybe two lenses, sometimes just one for an entire shoot.

Lets say a director like Fincher likes 27mm (on The Game he used 27mm & 75mm).

If you wanted to match approximately the same "look", would 27mm on APSC be the way to go????

Thanks!!

 

It is pretty close to the Nikon crop factor which is 1.5 to S35 of between 1.4 to 1.45. So just think Nikon ASPC lens and you will be close enough.

Yes 27mm seems to be a lens that a lot of Hollywood directors want to shoot a film with. I like to go even wider, say 21mm, but that is me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Charlie said:

OK thanks all, I think I get it now, Im getting a BMPCC which is super 16 obviously so I am trying to work out the equivelnt of 27mm on s35.

Which by my calcualtions, with a focal reducer (not metabones).........is approx 14mm!

No, only without focal reducer:
http://www.abelcine.com/fov/

A 27mm s35 lens has an angle of view of 49.5 degrees. The s16/1" equivalent for the BM Pocket is 13.5mm.

If you use a 0.71x focal reducer, you'd need a 19mm lens. (With a 0.58x Metabones Pocket Speed Booster, a 23.2mm lens.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cantsin said:

No, only without focal reducer:
http://www.abelcine.com/fov/

A 27mm s35 lens has an angle of view of 49.5 degrees. The s16/1" equivalent for the BM Pocket is 13.5mm.

If you use a 0.71x focal reducer, you'd need a 19mm lens. (With a 0.58x Metabones Pocket Speed Booster, a 23.2mm lens.)

Thanks alot!!!

I used this calculator to work it out.. http://bmpcc.rubenkremer.nl/

It looks like the calculator I used is working out against 35mm still format.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I used this calculator to work it out.. http://bmpcc.rubenkremer.nl/

It looks like the calculator I used is working out against 35mm still format.

Yes, it is. I know that this is highly confusing.

The whole "crop factor" and "35mm-equivalent" (meaning: full frame photo equivalent) mess is a historical legacy from the early days of digital SLRs photography. The first DSLRs only had APS-C sensors but were sold to previous owners of 35mm analog SLR cameras. These photographers used "crop factor" and "35mm-equivalent" calculations to determine how their existing SLR lenses would behave on digital bodies. (Since the 50mm lens you used on a film DSLR would no longer be normal focal length, but a slight portrait tele on an APS-C body.)

When photographers adopted DSLR video, the "crop factor" and "35mm-equivalent" thinking partly spilled over to video/filmmaking, and created a lot of confusion because 35mm cine film is actually equivalent to APS-C, not to full frame (except for the rare format of 35mm Vistavision cine film).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed, I am not interested in photography equivalents, I am interested in studying great cinematographers and the lenses they use, so want equivalents for the BMPCC which is the most I can spend on a cinema camera for my films at this moment!

Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO using photo full frame as the "ruler" is only useful because S35 is a little nebulous, having several similar but different formats which are all loosely called "S35". Whereas photo full-frame (135 film) has always been 36x24mm.

Although I would argue that post-DSLR-revolution the ruler should actually be photo-full-frame video, i.e. a 16x9 crop of 36x24mm, i.e. what a 5DII/III/A7 would shoot. Which is just a little smaller, diagonally, than the 3:2 photo format on the same sensor/film.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't apsc usually a little smaller than s35? Definitely in the case of like a Canon rebel. It's also not the only film standard. I don't know any of the specifics of The Game, but like Imax film is enormous. Anamorphic changes things too

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...