Just completed a repair of a lovely little lens

richg101

http://www.vimeo.com/58502686

I had to re align 3 elements, sort out the focus scale/focus ring, and create a mounting option for the m25 thread.  It turned out to be a right challenge.  Now the owner has a lovely little lens which cost him next to nothing.

What's great is that he bought a few micro close up lenses and now focus is really close.  Anamorphic Macro!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Cool look! I agree, a much more interesting look than the Iscorama. I think I remember seeing this little guy up on eBay a few weeks ago. Before then, I never knew that these existed. Is the +0.2 from Alan?

I am yet to find another one.  And I now really want one!  

the diopters are not +0.2 and +0.5 in terms of diopter magnification,  but 0.2 and 0.5 meter close up lenses for some little zeiss ikon camera.  they must be a magnification number to allow the original lens they were designed for to focus at 0.2metres and 0.5meters respectively.  the 0.5 is about 3 times stronger than the +0.4 tokina, and the 0.2 is about 10 times stronger than the tokina so i assume 0.2m= +3.5diopter  and the 0.5m= +1.5diopter 

I am yet to find another one.  And I now really want one!  

the diopters are not +0.2 and +0.5 in terms of diopter magnification,  but 0.2 and 0.5 meter close up lenses for some little zeiss ikon camera.  they must be a magnification number to allow the original lens they were designed for to focus at 0.2metres and 0.5meters respectively.  the 0.5 is about 3 times stronger than the +0.4 tokina, and the 0.2 is about 10 times stronger than the tokina so i assume 0.2m= +3.5diopter  and the 0.5m= +1.5diopter 

Can you explain to me (and us) what do you mean exactly... I own the Tokina +0.5, it appears to gives me sharp focus (with my baby hypergonar and it's Voigtlander 40mm prime lens) between one meter and maybe 4.... Do you mean that with the +0.4 or +0.2 I would have between how ? Thanks.

Can you explain to me (and us) what do you mean exactly... I own the Tokina +0.5, it appears to gives me sharp focus (with my baby hypergonar and it's Voigtlander 40mm prime lens) between one meter and maybe 4.... Do you mean that with the +0.4 or +0.2 I would have between how ? Thanks.

Hey Sebastien.

This test was done with the lens set to minimum focus (so taking lens and cinevision were set to focus from about 3ft with no diopter).  I then place the diopters over the front to see the new minimum focus distance.  I did not adjust the focus rings during the video - they stayed set to 3ft on the scale.

I think with the tokina +0.4 I get about '75cm minimum focus' and about '3.5 meters maximum focus'

with the 0.5metre zeiss ikon close up filter does not state the exact diopter number but it seems about +1.5diopters.  I think it was designed for a specific lens so you could focus 0.5m with the lens.  but on this anamorphic it allows about 30cm minimum focus and 75cm maximum focus.

with the 0.2metre zeiss ikon close up filter it seems about +3.5diopters.  originally designed to allow 20cm minim focus on the lens it was designed for.  on the anamorphic lens it gives about 7cm minimum focus and about 15-20cm maximum focus.

the cinevision on its own has 3ft (90cm) minimum focus to infinity without diopters.  But you can rack focus just with taking lens focus from 3ft to about 10ft and it is still sharp without adjusting the cinevision.  quite nice to have single focus ring when tracking focus from 3ft to 10ft!

Hey Sebastien.

This test was done with the lens set to minimum focus (so taking lens and cinevision were set to focus from about 3ft with no diopter).  I then place the diopters over the front to see the new minimum focus distance.  I did not adjust the focus rings during the video - they stayed set to 3ft on the scale.

I think with the tokina +0.4 I get about '75cm minimum focus' and about '3.5 meters maximum focus'

with the 0.5metre zeiss ikon close up filter does not state the exact diopter number but it seems about +1.5diopters.  I think it was designed for a specific lens so you could focus 0.5m with the lens.  but on this anamorphic it allows about 30cm minimum focus and 75cm maximum focus.

with the 0.2metre zeiss ikon close up filter it seems about +3.5diopters.  originally designed to allow 20cm minim focus on the lens it was designed for.  on the anamorphic lens it gives about 7cm minimum focus and about 15-20cm maximum focus.

the cinevision on its own has 3ft (90cm) minimum focus to infinity without diopters.  But you can rack focus just with taking lens focus from 3ft to about 10ft and it is still sharp without adjusting the cinevision.  quite nice to have single focus ring when tracking focus from 3ft to 10ft!

Thank you Richard :)

Incredible flares! Are you sure that you can't buy this from your client?

I am the client & now friend.

Richard has done such a great job on repairing this lens that I think he has easily earnt free hire whenever he wants - like shared custody of a little child made of...errr....glass :)

I already own a Century that he brilliantly rehoused to an enclosed 28mm OM to make a very slick 'One-Piece' lens. His workmanship and knowledge is top notch (but anyone on this forum probably know that already).