Sony F35 reaches $12,000 on eBay from $250,000 in 2008

Andrew Reid

In some cases, it is true.... but not others.

I still use a Yahama electronic piano from the 90s because the technology hasn't really improved much more from then. If i were a professional musician, i might say otherwise.... but for my needs, it is more than good enough.

That will happen with imagery too.... Unless you absolutely have to have the newest and best to survive in the professional environment and get that, say, 5% better end product... You will be just fine with that 2nd hand Sony F55 or Alexa.

We are reaching a point of diminishing returns

• 4 years later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/30/2013 at 10:54 AM, Andrew Reid said:

So if it is the absolute best Super 35mm digital HD image you’re looking for at $12,000 forget the other cameras. This is where it’s at.

This really makes you wonder what the price of the F55 and F65 will be like in 5 years from now. Will we be picking them up for under $10,000 or even $5,000? The pace of change in the technology is incredible but the pace of change in the way we use the cameras is much slower. I’d happily shoot on a five year old camera as good as this or finally switch to 4K acquisition in 5 years – by that time people might actually be watching it!

Nearly five years have passed since Andrew posted this. (wow, now I feel old...)

But took less than five years for that to happen, as I saw one beat up F55 go for a little under $10K earlier this year. 

Though usually they go for a few thousand more than $10K:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-CineAlta-4K-Camcorder-PMW-F55/122801766296 ($12.9K)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-F55-CineAlta-4K-Full-Camera-Package-Complete-with-AXS-R5-RAW-Recorder-EVF/292282955078 ($14.6K)

Really you need to go for an F5 (which since 2013 has got 4K!) or FS7 (which is rather similar to a F5) to see prices under $10K.