Cool little white balance trick

M Carter

When manually balancing for daylight sources like LEDs or Kinos - I always keep an 82A filter and balance through that (and then I put it away). Gives a nice warmth that doesn't look tungsten-ish. Tried balancing through 1/4 CTB, but I'd always lose my little scrap of gel; but I found an old 77mm from the film days and keep it with my 4x4's, doubt I'll ever use it as I only shoot B&W film.

Am I the only one who does this? I find that in post, I'm always pushing some warmth into my skin tones, I do this for interviews every time now. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I once white balanced to an orange bottle of hand cleaner in an industrial shoot to get a really deep green-blue. It would have been way too far a push in post for an 8-bit file.

I've always thought it would be handy to have a little book of painted cards in warm and cool tones; since WB is a combo of tint and temp, you could get some more variants beyond just color temp. (Though I like how the NX1 lets you adjust both matrixes independently and manually).

I used to carry around the 3 1/2"x4" cine swatch books for GAM-color lighting gels to do this trick:

light_gel_cinefilter.jpg

These larger swatch books cover the front of many lenses, and they are often handed out free at trade shows.  They usually include all of the CTBs and CTOs from 1/8 to "extra," along with the same range in Plus Green and Minus Green.

I would sometimes white balance to just 1/8 CTB or to a sandwich of 1/8 CTB and 1/8 Plus Green.  Eventually, I put gaffer tape tabs on the edge of the color swatches that I most often used.

There are other gel manufacturers that give away larger swatch books.  Lee is another popular brand:

Lee%20Filter_0.jpg?itok=IlomGVDo

Another bonus for the swatch books - if your camera has a small detection area (like the Nikons with manual and the NX1) you just need to cover that area of the lens. Even with a deep matte box, I can hold a circular filter and just cover the sensing area and it's good. My bigger video cams seem to be the whole sensor though.