C100 MkII - Picture Profiles/ Set Up - For Mixed Light Sources/ Etc.

User

Weird. It looks too clean of a line to be optical to me. Have you tried adding filters and flags/hoods to see if that changes anything? Perhaps also using the internal ND's? If this changes things it might indicate that it is an optical issue I guess.

It's clearly caused by the blown light areas (the two guys' heads on the bus in the other thread are crazy). If it's natural light coming in the bus window it's not flicker that's the problem. My guess would be that this is a processing issue of some sort. The line just looks too clean and uniformly horizontal to be flaring to me. I don't know what you can tweak on the C100II - I'd try turning off/down any auto functions (e.g. noise reduction) to see if that changes things. Are there any auto DR settings?

Hi Lintelfilm, thanks for jumping in. I haven't tried using filters, flags or hoods but I'm really starting to think that this is a sensor or processing issue. I've tried everything I can think of to mitigate the issue short of stepping into the picture profile fine adjustments.

I've only seen this once before and that was on a pre-production camera, the Sony A7 II. Check out 2 min 38.

Maybe Canon need to fix this with a firmware update.

Good eye Andrew. Your example is pretty much bang on.
Seeing your Berlin work sure makes me a little homesick for the good life back in the hood. 3 more months of hell and you can find me parked on a lovely terrace with a decent hefeweizen!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Can any party heavies weigh in on Canon's explanation:

We are quite sure that you camera or the sensor is not defective. The issue you complain about happens under light

conditions where logarithmic camera curves can have an negative effect on dark and noisy picture

elements near to high brightness objects. This is within the specification of the camera.

Logarithmic camera curves like Clog(1), Clog2 and WDR as well as all other types of logarithmic curves

presuppose light conditions where the 12 stop range can be expected. Light conditions out of the range

of 12 stops respectively especially the lower conditions but not really far away of good light conditions

will reduce the dynamic range but make it still possible to record a large dynamic range.

In dark night scenes respectively low light with small illumination you will normally never have 5, 4 or 3

stops to open the aperture. This is by sure the time to abandon Clog/WDR and to go back to

conventional gamma curve. When the scene only has a limited dynamic range, you don’t need

logarithmic camera curve anymore. That will give you much more real picture information and will

make it much easier for post-production processes.

The appearance of smear mostly occur in case of the use of logarithmic camera curves out of the

recommended and reasonable range and is especially visible without corrective measures performed

in post-production process. After corrective measures in post-production smear effects will disappear

or mostly be removed. This cannot be guaranteed.

The smear respectively the horizontal green stripe in the dark part to the right and left of the high

brightness light source was caused by the use of the logarithmic camera curve in a light situation

where it is not recommended to use it. It will be reduced or disappear after grading in post-production

but should be prevented by the use of conventional camera curve.

It is also not to recommend to change the base sensitivity of 850 ISO (2.5dB) or to do individual

settings – if possible – in addition to specific logarithmic camera curves provided by the camera.

Without the right LUT or divergent to verified LUTs it can cause difficult to impossible to get right

graded movies. - All individual changes out of camera specified log settings be performed under

personal responsibility.

I can confirm that the 'green stripe' disappears when I change the Log picture profile to Canon's Standard profile. With this being the case, and to reduce this anomaly, I guess this means that I will be shooting gun and gun on the streets at night with a non logarithmic curve.

My question now is, does anyone have (or can comment on making) a tailor made Picture Profile for the C100 that does not use Log with the 'contrast/ punchy-ness' of the Canon Standard profile dialed back that can be used for night shooting?

On a side note, listening to Alister Chapman's talk on the Sony F5, I seem to remember him mentioning that it wasn't a good idea to be shooting log at night as the image just did not benefit from it.

If anyone else wants to test your camera for this follow these steps:

It does not matter shutter speed, ND, lens.
Set your ISO at 850. I see this issue from 850 to 5000. At ISO 5000 there is typically enough light (exposure) so that this does not occur.
Enable a Log curve. Clog, WDR.
Point your camera at a fluorescent light source like in the photos I have already posted.
Expose for the fluorescent light source.

Look for the green strip to the sides of the fluorescent light just like in attached photos.

• 2 weeks later...