NX1 video graded with Benjamin's IWLTBAP LUT

Sekhar

Folks, thanks to EOSHD, I discovered Benjamin's awesome LUT pack. Today I tried one of his LUTs (this is the first time I'm using an LUT for grading) and thought I'd share the result in case you're interested in getting/using his pack.

I shot this with NX1 in 4K 24p with DR gamma, -10 sharpness, and -5 contrast; edited as 4K; and resized to 1080p using some scaling/zooming to get the framing I wanted. After some basic color correcting, mostly to match the colors, I applied Benjamin's LUT 9090 to prep for LUT and then used 9240.

All this was in SpeedGrade, and while the process was pretty straightforward, for some reason it was dog slow on SpeedGrade to see the results (anyone has an idea why?), so could only experiment with a few LUTs (that really is the hard part IMO, finding the right LUT).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Did you shoot this with auto focus? I think the colors look nice and subdued, but I am noticing some kind of shifting artifact on the brick wall? It seems to happen when the lights spin past it. 

On another note, I love the Indian culture, a good friend of mine married an Indian woman and at the wedding, everybody was so very nice and welcoming. They were very excited to  include us and show us their traditional dances. 

Did you shoot this with auto focus? I think the colors look nice and subdued, but I am noticing some kind of shifting artifact on the brick wall? It seems to happen when the lights spin past it. 

If you're talking about the strange patterns on the walls each time the clip changes, they're from YouTube not being able to handle the dissolves (I used dissolve at each shot change). There's no issue on the original uploaded video.

On another note, I love the Indian culture, a good friend of mine married an Indian woman and at the wedding, everybody was so very nice and welcoming. They were very excited to  include us and show us their traditional dances. 

Yeah, and a lot of color/eye candy in most Indian events, especially weddings...probably why Indian weddings make good demo reel material, whether for videographers or camera makers. I struggled to pick an LUT that doesn't mute the colors too much because that's the coolest aspect in these events.

BTW, I am required by California law to shoot everything my wife is in (that is the law in all cultures!). :) She's in this video as well as the fashion show I posted earlier (she's on the thumbnails on both videos, on the left here). But organizers in one event liked my work so much they gave me a paid gig to cover the event this year, so you never know.

Nice colors Sekhar !

Thanks! If anyone else has used these LUTs, please post results. I'm trying to shortlist a few to use regularly, and I'm sure it'll help others as well. For some reason, I'm not getting the look predicted by the preview images Benjamin provided for the different LUTs, so the only way to assess them seems to be through actual usage.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! If anyone else has used these LUTs, please post results. I'm trying to shortlist a few to use regularly, and I'm sure it'll help others as well. For some reason, I'm not getting the look predicted by the preview images Benjamin provided for the different LUTs, so the only way to assess them seems to be through actual usage.

Hi Sekhar, I just replied to your email. For the NX1 (and all no-LOG cameras like the LX100 or NX500), I recommend to use just the Rec.709 LUTs. Otherwise you can play with the utility LUT n°9998 + LOG LUT. Hope it helps ^_^